It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Re: On the Radio

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: On the Radio
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:53 pm 

Andy McDandy wrote:
He also described ambulance drivers as glorified taxi drivers.

Yes I remember Roger Poole a union leader that actually had a Tory minister on the ropes following a decade of glorious defeats.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:32 am 

Today Programme item about the recently discovered 1 metre Bronze Age wheel. Luckily I was still in bed with nothing hard to bang my head on.

Quote:
Despite being a Bronze Age wheel, it's actually made of wood.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:20 pm 

Today programme this morning at around 07:30 were picking over the bones of Man United's latest woes.

Gary Richardson: What do you think Sir Matt Busby would think if he was alive today?
Interviewee: Well, I think he would be spinning in his grave...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:37 pm 

Heh heh. Yes, I heard that one too. A cracker. Gary Richardson gets on my tits, mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:56 pm 

This was on yesterday on Radio 4 and is really worth the effort to listen to. It explains how our minds filters what we hear, see and read and how even the most open-minded person can trick themself into accepting as truth as long as chimes with what we already believe. It also looks at how facts are now being trumped by feelings, the rational replaced by the irrational.

If you do take the time to listen to it you might well be surprised by how gullible we all are.

Quote:
Are we really living in a post-truth world? It has been an extraordinary year for the concept of veracity. Brexit. Trump. Experts have taken a beating, facts have apparently taken second place to emotion and feeling. And what about truth? It seems like fewer and fewer people, whether voters or politicians, care what's true anymore. Step forward the Oxford English Dictionary's word of 2016: "post-truth". Is this just shorthand to help liberals make sense of a world they don't like? Or does it mark something more meaningful? Are we really no longer interested in truth or is our toxic political climate clouding our ability to agree on what the facts are? In a series of special programmes as 2017 begins, Radio 4 examines inflection points in the world around us. In the first programme, Jo Fidgen explores how our brains process facts when they become polluted by politics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b086nzlg

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:51 pm 

That was a very useful programme in defining what post-truthism is and reflecting on whether my own prejudices win out over evidence-based enquiry. I recalled the debate on joining the Euro which was high quality. My gut judgement told me to join it for strategic, political and idealistic reasons. Once the number crunching came the economic damage that could be inflicted on working people told me that this was probably not a good idea like the Gold Standard wasn't in the late 20s and decided against. I changed my mind in the noughties as Greece and Ireland growth fuelled by low interest rates were telling me that my original fears were unfounded. And then I changed my mind again in 2008 when I discovered I was right in the first place.

The Brexit debate was different because there was no compelling grown up economic or political case to challenge my feelings about being part of international institutions being the future. Just bad poetry. So I found the programme somewhat patronising to suggest clever clogs liberals were really indulging in the same kind of gut feeling judgements as Brexiters.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:06 am 

I read a similar thing, but it was a marketing document about brand loyalty.
It cited examples and psychological work about how a custmer will keep returning to a bad product, and the ways they find to justify it.

I'll see if I can dig it up today.
My Google-fu isn't all it should be.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:55 am 

Not the original article, but one that covers the same ground.

* Baylor University Coke / Pepsi trials.
* Endowment effect - It's better because I own it (A sort of ontological argument about stuff).
* Sunk Cost Fallacy.
* Choice Supportive Bias.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/05/19/fanboyism-and-brand-loyalty/

Plenty of good links to follow from this one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:50 pm 

Found this to be a good listen on the way home:

What's New about the New Far Right?

Adrian Goldberg investigates the current face of the far right in the UK today and hears from their victims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09dysx6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:58 pm 

Is that wank stain Paul Joseph Watson interviewed?

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:05 am 

Nope.

Who was interviewed was Martin Sellner. The programme discussed people like Generation Identity and National Action amongst others.

Last edited by Boiler on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:06 am 

Boiler wrote:
Found this to be a good listen on the way home:

What's New about the New Far Right?

Adrian Goldberg investigates the current face of the far right in the UK today and hears from their victims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09dysx6

I'll give it a go if Goldberg is not doing his capslock "foive loive investeykates" schtick and his "onbeloivable" eyebrow.raising routine. (He really is unremittingly shite.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:13 am 

Kreuzberger wrote:
I'll give it a go if Goldberg is not doing his capslock "foive loive investeykates" schtick and his "onbeloivable" eyebrow.raising routine. (He really is unremittingly shite.)

Not being a listener to Five Dead And Buried, I didn't know he did such stuff... the last time I listened to Radio Five it was just that - Radio Five! I sat with Mrs. B. and listened to Accidental Death Of An Anarchist, with Adrian Edmonson in the lead role.

If nothing else, it'd be interesting to know what others thought of the programme, both in terms of content and presentation...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:22 am 

Littlejohn's brain wrote:

Is there any evidence he’s a real person?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:20 pm 

youngian wrote:
Littlejohn's brain wrote:

Is there any evidence he’s a real person?

Well, Fenton obsesses about him but as ever it is incredibly difficult to tell what's real and what's not now, especially in the world of Faceache and Twatter. Vide the race-baiting of the woman on Westminster bridge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6