It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 172  Next

Re: The Sun

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: The Sun
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:02 am 

Quote:
CONGRATULATIONS to the team from Balliol College, Oxford, who have just won University Challenge.

And congratulations to them, too, for giving us all hope by showing that they’re really as thick as mince.

I'd love to see a team of Sun journos go head to head against the Balliol team with questions on the same level as those used in the UC final. They'd be lucky to get a score above 20. So if the Balliol students are thick, that must put Sun journos on sub-Neanderthal levels.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:54 am 

I have seen Fleet Street teams on Uni Challenge and they were effing useless despite being a profession where general knowledge is very important. Charles Moore I recall was particularly dense.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:58 am 

Quote:
REICH AND ROLL Labour’s justice boss ridiculed after he joins a heavy metal band that delights in Nazi symbols

LABOUR’S justice boss faced scorn last night after it emerged he has joined a heavy metal band that delights in Nazi symbols.

Shadow Justice Secretary and MP for Leeds East Richard Burgon has started singing for little known band Dream Tröll.

The group uses the name of Hitler’s infamous SS security unit as lettering in its promotion posters.

It also spells its name in German military font, complete with an umlaut over the letter ‘o’’, and has the motto; “We Sold our Soul for Rock n’Troll’”.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3334260/l ... -symbols/#

Middle aged rockers will recognise the offending cover as a pastiche of Sabbath's We Sold our soul for rock n roll. The Sun in just two words: Shit sandwich

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:21 am 

In their eyes all the general knowledge in the world is nothing compared to a seat at the top table. What Liddle means is "these kids don't know how the world works", and considering that he earns a healthy living writing short sentences to patronize morons, he may have a point.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:40 am 

"German Military Font"

I think they mean a gothic typeface.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:56 am 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
That occurred to me. And, of course, the umlaut was a Wehrmacht invention.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:44 am 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:09 am 

And then they'll do a sudden volte-face and it's the Sun wot wonnit all over again.

It's about as predictable as Casualty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:33 am 

A few of us on this board predicted foreign aid budget wouldn't be cut for this reason. Not because we're international trade experts but any fool could see this scenario developing. Can't someone throw some crumbs to Brexiters so they are right on something.

Quote:
The U.K. is planning to use its international aid budget of 12 billion pounds ($14.6 billion) to win friends among the world’s poorest countries ahead of crucial trade talks, according to two senior government figures who are familiar with the matter.

Financial help will go to countries that Britain will need on its side as Europe’s second-biggest economy seeks to re-establish trading rights at the World Trade Organization once it abandons the European Union, according to the officials, who asked not to be named because the proposal is confidential. Currently, the U.K.’s negotiations at the WTO are conducted by the EU.

Prime Minister Theresa May is seeking to shield British business outside Europe as she prepares to end four decades of trade privileges the U.K. enjoyed as part of the 28-nation bloc. After Brexit, the U.K. will take up its place at the WTO as an independent country with its own negotiating powers, and will seek to re-sign deals with more than 50 countries that have accords with the EU, as well as claiming its share of the EU’s quotas for agriculture and other sectors.

Uncertainty over the nature of the U.K.’s future trading arrangements have contributed to the pound’s drop to a three-decade low against the dollar since the June 23 referendum. EU President Donald Tusk stoked investor concerns with a speech in Brussels late Thursday in which he said the U.K. choice was “hard Brexit” or “no Brexit” and it’s time for May’s government to realize the withdrawal “will be painful for Britons.” The pound was down 0.5 percent at $1.2197 as of 9:10 a.m. in London.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... exit-talks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:47 pm 

The Sun and Times both produced front pages today that seemed to criticise May. I'm beginning to think that maybe Murdoch is worried about the Tories gaining a large majority. At the moment the papers appear have quite a lot of influence over the Tories because their majority is so small. If May gains a hundred seat majority the papers will have no influence at all for the next 5 years.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:01 pm 

Who knows what Murdoch's global calculations are but Brexit and the Tories are not that close to his heart. Perhaps he heard Theresa May intends to ban big tits.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:38 pm 

youngian wrote:
Who knows what Murdoch's global calculations are but Brexit and the Tories are not that close to his heart. Perhaps he heard Theresa May intends to ban big tits.

Save Our Tits!

Do you remember when those faceless unelected EU bureaucrats wanted to interfere with the contents of the the Great British Banger? The Sun went ballistic and ran a Save Our Sausages (SOS, geddit?) campaign. It was only when they realised that the EU were trying to have a minimum quantity of meat* within the sausage their campaign faded away.

* As opposed to the lips, ringpieces and connective tissue that made up the contents of yer average GBB at the time.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:46 pm 

Dacre is daring May to do away with the welfare state. That'd hit Sun readers hard.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:18 pm 

Daley Mayle wrote:
Do you remember when those faceless unelected EU bureaucrats wanted to interfere with the contents of the the Great British Banger? The Sun went ballistic and ran a Save Our Sausages (SOS, geddit?) campaign. It was only when they realised that the EU were trying to have a minimum quantity of meat* within the sausage their campaign faded away.

* As opposed to the lips, ringpieces and connective tissue that made up the contents of yer average GBB at the time.

Donkey's years ago my Dad used to help out at the local butchers (odd jobs, and occasionally slaughtering) in addition to his full time job. He used to say that you'd never eat a sausage if you saw what went into them... at least now a minimum of 42% of a banger is actually meat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:56 pm 

Although it's written in childish language for stupid people, don't assume the Sun isn't run by clever people. I think, more than the Mail in this respect, this gives them one very important thing. A get-out clause. They can't be seen to wholly throw their weight behind something because if it goes tits up they find themselves in the fallout, but this enables them to say "well yes, but don't forget we did say we had reservations and May didn't listen to us on that so blah blah, not my fault guv".

More than perhaps any other paper in the country, the Sun is shrewd. It picks the winner not because of some deep held beliefs like the Mail but because they simply go for the side they think will win, and get it right. In the same way a good gambler would. Oh sure, they are in a position to help manipulate it their way, but they didn't drop Major's Tory Government because of a sudden, new-found love of social democracy.

Things can only get better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 172  Next