It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 169  Next

Re: The Sun

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: The Sun
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 pm 

Safe_Timber_Man wrote:

They keep saying this:

Quote:
We take issue with several of the President’s pronouncements.

But I've yet to see them actually condemn him and/or saying what they take issue with.

It's like May's non-disagreement with him. "We don't do that round here". They may well disagree with much of what he's doing, but it's an age of binary choices. With or against. And that means if you back him you have to back everything he says and does.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:23 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
I'll be 101. Whoopee.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:34 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
And I'll be 90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:42 pm 

Banned from Liverpool FC, apparently. Not allowed in at Anfield or the training ground.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:51 pm 

KevS wrote:
Banned from Liverpool FC, apparently. Not allowed in at Anfield or the training ground.

SCORCIO!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:33 pm 

Wonder why now? Anyone any idea?

Things can only get better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:42 am 

I thought they were already banned?

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:45 pm 

Back to the judges...

THE SUN SAYS God forbid the free press would want to question the intentions of Remoaners and the thin-skinned Supreme Court chief

Quote:
IS our most senior judge so arrogant he believes himself above all criticism?

The answer would appear to be yes, because thin-skinned Lord Neuberger, president of the Supreme Court, has moaned about Press coverage of the Article 50 Brexit court

He and his fellow justices revelled in the attention they received until newspapers took a closer look at who was deciding Britain’s exit from the EU.

In Lord Neuberger’s case that included his wife’s tweets dismissing the referendum as “mad and bad… a protest vote”.

Little wonder then, the Supreme Court president is so dismissive of the USA’s more transparent system of elected judges.

God forbid we understand the political persuasions and motivations of our judiciary before they rule on issues of critical national importance.
Lord Neuberger is right to stress the importance of the rule of law in society.

But equally vital is the independence of the free Press.

KELVIN MACKENZIE: You CAN criticise judges… especially if their wives want them to halt Brexit

Quote:
AS President of the Supreme Court, Lord Neuberger is a clever and important man. So when he says media criticism of his Brexit ruling is “undermining the rule of law” we should take note.

And having taken note we should then dump it in the waste paper basket. It’s absolute cobblers.

In this world nobody, not me, not the Prime Minister, not The Queen, nor even his wife Lady Neuberger, can be exempt from attack.

Especially Lady Neuberger. Let me remind you what she tweeted under her maiden name, Angela Holdsworth.

She denounced the referendum as “mad and bad”. She clearly didn’t want ordinary people for the first time in my lifetime to have a say in our future. Not bright enough, don’t you know. Bright enough to go in under a referendum 42 years ago but not bright enough to come out, eh?

She dismissed Ukip and Brexit as “just a protest vote” — some “protest” as you watch the whole of the EU fall apart.

She gave her old man a nudge when she retweeted a Remain group message, saying it seemed unlikely a Prime Minister could trigger Article 50 without Parliament’s approval.

Some seven months later Lord Neuberger duly obliged. Clearly his wife’s views were at best injudicious and at worst compromising. You have to wonder whether chatter over the Neuberger breakfast table would have an influence.

Having the missus nagging at him, and the papers describing him and his legal chums as “enemies of the people”, has clearly rattled Lord Neuberger.

The importance of the law must be matched by free speech and effectively he is asking to be given a free ride, no matter what daft judgments are handed down. That was the 1960s, old chum.

Perhaps he should concentrate on making it clearer how you get “promotion” to the Supreme Court. Right now, as long as you went to Oxford and didn’t put peas on the side of your knife, there was a sleight of hand which got you to the top.

Why don’t we adopt the American method and balance judges between Left and Right? That way all of us would know their views on abortion, the EU, immigration, etc.

At the very least, we want to know how judges are selected for the top jobs and why. A centre-Right character as President would be a nod to ordinary people that their views were being listened to.

Neuberger stands down soon. It can’t happen a moment too soon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 am 

Wow..shots fired!

MARTIN SAMUEL: The Roly Poly Goalie, dumb punts and how Sun Bets became the bookies who corrupted the most romantic game of the season
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4247018/Bookies-corrupted-season-s-romantic-game.html

I guess because it technically isn't The Sun newspaper then perhaps this isn't breaking the 'gentleman's agreement' between the tabloids.

For those who don't know about it - Sun Bets are getting a real kicking. A murky betting/PR stunt by SunBets regarding Sutton's reserve keeper eating a pie on tv during the game. The keeper has now been sacked/asked to resign. We don't know if he got into bed with The Sun at all but he was aware of the bet and was aware that his mates had placed money on the bet. SunBets are being investigated by the gambling commission. They're calling in an "OTT Probe".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:41 am 

Wow, comments on the Samuel column...almost sane...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:59 am 

That tends to happen with sports related articles. The sports fans who comment on the Mail are often extremely different to typical Mailites. Far more rational, when not being drowned out by the "overpaid primadonna's kicking a pig bladder around" crowd.

Seeing as many of their sporting heroes are foreigners they aren't necessarily on board with the Mails attitudes and often do a good job of giving the Mail a kicking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:45 pm 

On Monday evening, "SunBets" was nothing more than one more voice in the muddled, shouty space that is the gambling market. Now it's a thing.

How much would that amount of coverage cost? Would it even be possible to achieve this in such a small space of time?

Even if the regulator throws the book at them, it will have been well worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:21 pm 

Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
That tends to happen with sports related articles. The sports fans who comment on the Mail are often extremely different to typical Mailites. Far more rational, when not being drowned out by the "overpaid primadonna's kicking a pig bladder around" crowd.

Seeing as many of their sporting heroes are foreigners they aren't necessarily on board with the Mails attitudes and often do a good job of giving the Mail a kicking.

I think we've covered this before:
There are only a limited number of publications for a national sports correspondent.
They're not writing commons sketches or editorials - so less subject to the proprietor's and editor's whim.
This leads to little correlation between a newspaper's editorial stance and the political views of the correspondent.

This creates a real congnitive dissonance for some politicians.
Those with the default assumption that sporty types are right-wing because: (All the Rugger buggers I knew at Uni / It's competition at its finest / Loadsamoney / Botham / Buster Mottram / No Pooofters ).
They tend to treat sports get-togethers as a safe space for their views, with occasionally embarrassing results.
For example the outrage when Gary Lineker said something.

Anybody who read this far will recognise just how outdated all those assumptions in brackets actually sound.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:57 pm 

I've never forgotten Martin Samuel writing a non-sports article to accuse John O'Farrell of being basically corrupt. Because he spent years as a state school governor in inner London. As self-serving school governors only undertake such jobs in order to gain unfair advantage for their kids.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14 am 

Was that around the time O'Farrell was standing for office and the DM took some out of context quotes from a comedy book he wrote as evidence of vicious lefties picking on poor downtrodden Tory ministers?

If so, that was out of order, and out of character for Samuel. He's always managed the bloke down the pub schitck without turning into a total tosser (see also Tony Parsehole vs Stuart Maconie).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 169  Next