It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next

Re: Katie Hopkins

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Katie Hopkins
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 am 

Didn't Tim Fenton reckon she'd be gone by September?

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:34 pm 

The response to Hopkins by Banks is delicious.

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2017/ ... -bust.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:43 pm 

Katie's currently got a bit of a thing about Bitcoin and cryptocurrency. She's apparently a big fan.

Sounds about right. Intrinsically crooked and beloved of right-wing cranks, ultimately in the pocket of shady big money men. And some internet money bullshit. (Coat. Taxi)

Given that these things are just a nudge away from turning into a massive heap of burning nappies, it'll be fun to watch her getting stroked te fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:23 pm 

Quote:
Katie Hopkins stands by tweets in wake of Natural History Museum crash
Mail Online columnist defends series of deleted tweets: ‘I stand by the idea that it’s a terror attack’

So why was the arrested man freed the following day?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... eum-tweets

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:23 pm 

Quote:
Theatre to stage musical based on imaginary death of Katie Hopkins

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/ ... ie-hopkins

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:02 pm 

Arnold wrote:
Quote:
Theatre to stage musical based on imaginary death of Katie Hopkins

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/ ... ie-hopkins

Slaughtered by terrorists but, upon investigation, just a plain old Road Traffic Accident?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:39 pm 

Quote:
Festival appearance by Katie Hopkins sparks furious reaction

Quote:
The Winter Lewes Speakers Festival takes place at the All Saints Centre from November 24-26. Her billing says: “Love her or hate her, Katie Hopkins is impossible to ignore.”

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/ ... -1-8200715

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:53 pm 

She's free. Rod Liddle would get out bed for that for less than a can of Stella.
Quote:
to the best of my knowledge has not been convicted of hate speech and is thus free to express her opinions within the limits of the law. She is coming out of her own free will and is not paid to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm 

Arnold wrote:
Quote:
Festival appearance by Katie Hopkins sparks furious reaction

Quote:
The Winter Lewes Speakers Festival takes place at the All Saints Centre from November 24-26. Her billing says: “Love her or hate her, Katie Hopkins is impossible to ignore.”

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/ ... -1-8200715

It's easy to ignore her; just avoid Twitter, Mailonline and the more controversial chat shows. I'd guess that the majority of the population have either never heard of her or barely give her a second thought. For all her bombast she's rarely in the main glare of publicity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:47 pm 

I just read the article. The organisers list a Holocaust survivor and an Afghan refugee as left wing/liberal figures who have previously spoken there, so everything balances out.

Fuck me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:02 am 

davidjay wrote:
It's easy to ignore her; just avoid Twitter, Mailonline and the more controversial chat shows. I'd guess that the majority of the population have either never heard of her or barely give her a second thought. For all her bombast she's rarely in the main glare of publicity.

Indeed.

That billing has inadvertently betrayed the thing that terrifies an attention whore more than anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 am 

Quote:
Festival manager Marc Rattray said: “The Lewes Speakers Festival accepts that the billing of Katie Hopkins as a speaker for this year’s winter festival is controversial.

“The festival itself is politically neutral and has, in the past, given platforms to those on the ‘liberal left’ such as Caroline Lucas, Polly Toynbee, Alan Johnson, Jenni Murray and Dennis Skinner. In the summer of 2017, we had holocaust survivor Iby Knill as a speaker and the company has hosted Gulwali Passarlay, the Afghan refugee in both Lewes and Chichester. There have been nine festivals so far and they began in 2011.”

He continued: “I do hold that free speech is a virtue in a democracy. Katie Hopkins (and I am not an expert on her at all and so people are free to correct me here) to the best of my knowledge has not been convicted of hate speech and is thus free to express her opinions within the limits of the law. She is coming out of her own free will and is not paid to do so.

“She is billed to talk about her autobiography and it is not a specifically political speech. All of our political presenters (and we have had them of all colours) obviously face those of strongly held opposing convictions.

“I believe that the best way forward is to find whose argument is most reasonable rather than resorting to ad hominem personal attacks. She is not coming ‘unopposed’ and anyone who has ever been to the Lewes Speakers Festival will see very quickly that there is a long Q and A section after every talk in which the audience get to ask questions of the speaker and to debate with him/ her.

“We have received a number of emails from members of the public requesting that we withdraw her invitation. That to my mind, would be regrettable.

“If you have strongly held views that oppose those of Katie Hopkins, I think it would be better to show confidence in them by demonstrating through reasonable argument why her opinions are pernicious and wrong by coming to the talk. ‘Banning’ her from Lewes or ‘non-platforming’ her is likely to lead her to state to her Twitter followers (which number more than 800,000) that people are simply afraid to debate with her in a reasonable way and that she is a martyr for those who are not allowed to speak.”

I can't argue with that.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:20 am 

I can.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:45 am 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
Thing is, you ban her she screams "Free speech, censorship" and plays the martyr card. Let her spout crap and be called out for it, make herself look an idiot, might be the better option.

Give her enough rope etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 am 

I accept the free speech argument; however her views and the extremes she uses to express them are well known, the organizers of the event state they have had speakers from the "liberal left", but I doubt they expressed their views and opinions in the language of Stalin/Pol Pot.

Should she be banned? on balance I say no

Last edited by Watchman on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next