It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1138 ... 1144  Next

Re: Richard Littlejohn

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Richard Littlejohn
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:33 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
Tell you something else about Littlejohn, he cherry picks bits of 70s TV that he likes, and doesn't always get the overall picture.

He is a Sweeney fan, isn't he? Well so am I (bollock me for it if you want) anyway, in two episodes, "our boys" who he no doubt fetishizes, are portrayed in a negative light. The first one is "Taste of Fear" in series 3 and an army deserter, called Tim Cook is on the run, he is portrayed as a dangerous, out of control, psychopath. The second is an episode from series 4, I've forgotten the name of it, and it concerned a businessman, who had been an army officer during the Malayan emergency in the 50s and had shot some Malaysian civilians in a massacre. He was now being blackmailed, anyhow, the officer class were being portrayed as reactionary, right wing loons.

If you put either of these charachterisations in a TV drama now, Littlejohn would probably go spare.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:45 pm 

All his favourite TV shows (Sweeney, Minder, Porridge, OFAH) have a few things in common.

Street-smart (but not book-smart) blokes skirting the line between legal and criminal (but never doing outright villainy, just 'understandable' naughtiness).
Dynamic of older cynical bloke and younger, more idealistic bloke who older bloke has to put right every now and again.
Women as either peripheral characters or absent altogether. If present, either young idealistic types (dopey birds), sassy older women who are a bit brassy but give as good lip as they get (it's all part of the game), or slags.
Officialdom and authority figures portrayed as either useless sensitive types or authoritarian/corrupt hard cases.
BME/LGBTQ characters portrayed either as tokens or pure comic relief.

I'm sure there's more, but I look at that list and just think "projection, much?".

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:20 pm 

Littlejohn reminds me of the old teddy boys I'd see in the seventies, who dressed like it was still 1955, drove any car as long as it had tailfins and only listened to rockabilly. I have a vision of him still watching a three-channel 26 inch TV, eating Vesta curry and Angel Delight for his tea then drinking six pints of Double Diamond before driving his Cortina home because he knows how much he can drink.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:40 pm 

davidjay wrote:
I have a vision of him still watching a three-channel 26 inch TV, eating Vesta curry and Angel Delight for his tea then drinking six pints of Double Diamond before driving his Cortina home because he knows how much he can drink.

I always envisioned a Mailite's TV looking like this, because it's British, don'tcha know? Not a state-provided monster flat screen telly for dolescum:

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:06 am 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... Heath.html

Someone's not happy. Someone's also trying to convince us he's been in London recently.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:28 am 

Quote:
We DIDN'T vote Leave so that Mother Theresa can turn us into a EU-style workers' paradise. Yet as this interminable campaign drags on, and on, and on, she's stealing Labour's clothes simply to win over voters in the North.

Don't worry its all wind and piss. But I take the point; that's is not why Leavers voted for Brexit. Apart from Corbyn.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:31 am 

Why did we vote leave then? The reason seems to change from day to day depending on whether or not the pound is up or down or an unassuming Polish guy has just got his head smashed in by a bunch of thugs.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:35 am 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
He's just a tit who talks shit. Your average pub bore given a platform by the media.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:44 am 

Quote:
The distance from Littlejohn Towers in deepest Daily Mail Land to central London is about 12 miles, not counting diversions for roadworks and one-way systems.
My journey by car passes through several parliamentary constituencies, both Labour and Tory.

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:54 pm 

Looks like Dicky Arsepiece is on leave today. His Teresa = Heath routine probably jarred a bit with today's love letter to la May.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:18 pm 

Arnold wrote:
Quote:
The distance from Littlejohn Towers in deepest Daily Mail Land to central London is about 12 miles, not counting diversions for roadworks and one-way systems.
My journey by car passes through several parliamentary constituencies, both Labour and Tory.

:roll:

I wish he would drive from his home to central London.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:33 pm 

Deepest Daily Mail land? Hmm.

Things can only get better.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:34 am 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -town.html

Back from his hols, Dickie doesn't like making predictions but makes a few anyway. All with a load of ingrained racism, sexism and slurs about mental health. The cunt.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:36 am 

And from the Vero Beach constituency.

Wobble or not, Theresa is the only show in town even if I don't believe she will deliver the tungsten-tipped Brexit I want, writes RICHARD LITTLEJOHN

Tungsten-tipped Brexit? Wozzat?

Quote:
The Conservative Party isn't exactly brimming with talent, but anyone who seriously thinks Labour is a credible government in waiting should be sectioned, Little John goes on

And on and on and on.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z4iYLhb3r6

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:35 pm 

Littlejohn's columns usually make sense but he's had to cobble something together sharpish after his original piece on strong and stable Theresa owning the election on Brexit. No tributes to May being in charge after the MEN attack. But descends into weird stuff about the Greens and Tampons

Quote:
At first, I thought period poverty might be something to do with Poldark.

Turns out it was a protest against VAT on sanitary products. A noble enough cause, but what the hell has the price of tampons got to do with Brexit?

Quite a lot, apparently. VAT is imposed on sanitary products by an EU edict. So you might have thought the Greens would be all in favour of Britain breaking free of the Brussels yoke. Nothing could be further from the truth.

They want to derail Brexit and keep us in the EU — tampon tax and all, presumably.

Go figure, as our American cousins say.

Sounding weak and wobby on May and tungsten Brexit

Quote:
She told us Brexit means Brexit and the only — repeat, only — reason for calling an election two short years after the last one was to give her a mandate to get on with it. If she really intends to be true to her word, she is entitled to our support next week and will deserve our long-term gratitude if she pulls it off. We shall just have to take her on trust.
More than 17 million people voted Leave. We've got no choice other than to give her a solid mandate to turn that decision into reality. The alternative is too horrible to contemplate.

'Disgraceful' Burnham and Thomas Mair nothing to do with me guv.
Quote:
Manchester mayor Andy Burnham is spoken of as a 'moderate' successor to Corbyn.

He has been widely praised for his response to last week's attack.

Yet Burnham was a Home Office minister when Labour was encouraging mass immigration and creating ghettos in our cities.

He opposed anti-radicalisation measures in a cynical attempt to appeal to the Muslim vote. After last week's bombing, he said the perpetrator 'wasn't a Muslim' and disgracefully tried to draw some kind of moral equivalence between organised and deeply embedded Islamist terrorism and the murder of MP Jo Cox by a lone, Right-wing nutter.

Another of Littlejohn's not lookalikes- Former home office minister Jaqui Smith and Lorraine Bracco (Dr Melfi in the Sopranos)

Quote:
According to a survey by academics, the 'brainiest' and best-qualified people in Britain vote Lib Dem. Which only goes to prove yet again you have to be very intelligent to be seriously stupid.

Proved by whom stupid academics?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1138 ... 1144  Next