It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 836 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56

Re: Jan Moir

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Jan Moir
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:18 am 

*edit* Sorry - Wrong Glenda.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:03 pm 

Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
*edit* Sorry - Wrong Glenda.

Easily done, they're mostly interchangeable with the exception of outliers; Brick (Not getting as much work - Europhile connections) and Hopkins.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:13 am 

The tragic empty lives of former child stars: JAN MOIR on how Emma Watson's role as self-appointed global feminist is getting a bit too much

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... stars.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:31 am 

I thought Emma Watson was UN appointed rather than self-appointed. This article doesn't make any sense she hasn't shacked up with Peter Doherty to become skag head.

No she hasn't that's your job
Quote:
Yet I don’t think Emma is a terrible person, even if she is yet another tiresome millionaire celebrity lecturing everyone else on how we should be living our lives.

So Jan what first repelled you to the popular, attractive, rich, good hearted, degree educated young actress Emma Watson?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:30 am 

What is it with Right wing tabloid columnists attacking people far more successful and popular than themselves? I'm almost certain that they claim it's The Left who hate to see successful people and sneer at them, and The Right champion them?

In language they understand: Emma Watson is worth approximately 40-50 million. JK Rowling is approaching billionaire status. George and Amal Clooney about £150 million. These are your betters, knobheads.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 am 

To a degree it's tall poppy syndrome and the envy of the mediocre. What's so special about an actor/writer/footballer*? It's just reading out lines/making up stories/kicking a ball about. That's not work. Nothing heavy's being lifted. It's fun stuff**.

Of course, ask them why, if it's so easy, they didn't go down the route of Hollywood glamour and squillions in the bank, the reply is rather more muted.

Another argument is that people should stick to what they know. Fair enough, I'll take Emma Watson's tips about acting but not necessarily about railway modelling. But it doesn't occur to them that a) people might just read up on and research topics they're interested in, and b) whither the tabloid columnist, the greatest example of opinionated gobshite there ever was?

Finally, it's not so much sneering at people who are successful, but people who use that success to try to help other people. Of course, if you blow your cash on hookers and parties, that's bad too. But as the case of Jack Monroe showed, even the most heartening rags to not quite riches but at least security story isn't what they want - they want poor people*** filling a stereotype and being pathetically grateful for whatever scraps they're thrown.

*All careers that offer hard slog and almost certain disappointment save for the very very few who through talent, persistence, luck and whatever else make it to the incredible rewards at the top.

**See also Littlejohn's comments on cosplayers and general attitudes to hobbyists etc. It's silly. It's childish. Being an adult apparently means turning off your imagination.

***Or disabled people, gay people, BME people, anyone outside their personal Overton window.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:05 am 

That's fair enough. Luvvies - Just dressing up. Footballers - just kicking a sack of air around. Etc Etc. So I suppose this particular column fits neatly in the Daily Mail mindset.

But then there's Richard Branson. Alan Sugar. People who have worked hard for their success in "proper" industries. People who the Mail should champion, if they were consistent.

I know it simply comes down to them not being Right wing therefore the enemy - but it's staggering that it really is that simple for these columnists being comfortable with that being the only reason they're 'fair game' and even more so their readers are happy to go along with such a weak and partisan attitude. It's just so...thick.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:16 am 

With those cases, there's often an undercurrent of "Oh but they were rich to start with, had advantages I never had in life, people prepared to give them a leg up" - especially if the person is from a minority group (or a woman, that is if the reaction isn't woman know your place). Of course, if none of those apply, there's always "Got big headed, forgot their roots". You literally cannot win.

What it boils down to is this - people who have never achieved anything of note blaming others for their average (but in most cases by no means uncomfortable) lives. I'm no fan of celebrity culture, but I have nothing but admiration for people who have creative talent or who have climbed the greasy pole to success.

I wonder what the Mail and its acolytes want. Absolute mediocrity it seems, save for the right type of royals. Maybe that abolish Magna Carta woman was onto something.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:56 am 

Andy McDandy wrote:
To a degree it's tall poppy syndrome and the envy of the mediocre. What's so special about an actor/writer/footballer*? It's just reading out lines/making up stories/kicking a ball about. That's not work. Nothing heavy's being lifted. It's fun stuff**.

Of course, ask them why, if it's so easy, they didn't go down the route of Hollywood glamour and squillions in the bank, the reply is rather more muted.

Another argument is that people should stick to what they know. Fair enough, I'll take Emma Watson's tips about acting but not necessarily about railway modelling. But it doesn't occur to them that a) people might just read up on and research topics they're interested in, and b) whither the tabloid columnist, the greatest example of opinionated gobshite there ever was?

Finally, it's not so much sneering at people who are successful, but people who use that success to try to help other people. Of course, if you blow your cash on hookers and parties, that's bad too. But as the case of Jack Monroe showed, even the most heartening rags to not quite riches but at least security story isn't what they want - they want poor people*** filling a stereotype and being pathetically grateful for whatever scraps they're thrown.

*All careers that offer hard slog and almost certain disappointment save for the very very few who through talent, persistence, luck and whatever else make it to the incredible rewards at the top.

**See also Littlejohn's comments on cosplayers and general attitudes to hobbyists etc. It's silly. It's childish. Being an adult apparently means turning off your imagination.

***Or disabled people, gay people, BME people, anyone outside their personal Overton window.

Actually I think the columnists want every "success story" to crash and burn spectacularly.

How Dare they still be alive, do they think they're better than Diana or something?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:08 pm 

Andy McDandy wrote:
With those cases, there's often an undercurrent of "Oh but they were rich to start with, had advantages I never had in life, people prepared to give them a leg up" - especially if the person is from a minority group (or a woman, that is if the reaction isn't woman know your place). Of course, if none of those apply, there's always "Got big headed, forgot their roots". You literally cannot win.

What it boils down to is this - people who have never achieved anything of note blaming others for their average (but in most cases by no means uncomfortable) lives. I'm no fan of celebrity culture, but I have nothing but admiration for people who have creative talent or who have climbed the greasy pole to success.

I wonder what the Mail and its acolytes want. Absolute mediocrity it seems, save for the right type of royals. Maybe that abolish Magna Carta woman was onto something.

Basically, The Daily Mail is the same kind of mindset of that nasty, gossipy old woman who is always peeping through the curtains at people and who never has a good word for anything or anybody. It really is the turd at the bottom of the journalistic sewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
I've said this before; their instinctive reaction is to begrudge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 836 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56