All times are UTC [ DST ]

Re: Skwakbox

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Skwakbox
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:56 pm 

Abernathy wrote:
Kreuzberger wrote:
These blogs and their similarly hand-knitted siblings are pretty much alone on the media landscape in their determination to hold the tories to account.

I would rather we support and encourage them than actually praise the cornucopia of cunts for trying to bring them down.

I wouldn't want to encourage piss-poor irresponsible journalism from whichever quarter it emanated.
The danger with blogs like Skwawkbox is that they suffer a serious credibility problem, because credibility is earned only through serious, sincere, diligent journalism and responsible publishing, and Skwawkbox self-evidently cares not a jot for any of that.

I'd no more bother reading anything in, for example, The Canary, than I would anything in The Express.

Very true and this their holding the Tories to account line fails to notice that a lot of these blogs seem to spend their time attacking people in Labour who don't believe that the sun shines out of Jeremy's arse. I wish to remind people last year the Canary published a story about The Fabians and Portland Communications were behind the (coup) Leadership challenge last year and it was a sinister plot against Jeremy. Thanks to this former Labour candidate Kevin McKeever who works at Porltland got a death threat saying he should prepared to by coxed

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ath-threat

Now should we at Mailwatch be supporting and encouraging this? It seems some of us are happy to turn a blind eye to things like this, since they believe that these blogs are on our side, if we turn a blind eye to shite like this, how are we supposed to hold the Mail to account? That moral high ground we like to sit on has suddenly sunk.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:11 pm 

Littlejohn's brain wrote:

Very true and this their holding the Tories to account line fails to notice that a lot of these blogs seem to spend their time attacking people in Labour who don't believe that the sun shines out of Jeremy's arse. I wish to remind people last year the Canary published a story about The Fabians and Portland Communications were behind the (coup) Leadership challenge last year and it was a sinister plot against Jeremy. Thanks to this former Labour candidate Kevin McKeever who works at Porltland got a death threat saying he should prepared to by coxed

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ath-threat

Now should we at Mailwatch be supporting and encouraging this? It seems some of us are happy to turn a blind eye to things like this, since they believe that these blogs are on our side, if we turn a blind eye to shite like this, how are we supposed to hold the Mail to account? That moral high ground we like to sit on has suddenly sunk.

You are, it would seem (possibly), conflating the Canary - and a tenuous causal link to the alleged actions of parties who remain hitherto unconnected - with Bawksqox in order to demonise the latter?

I would respectfully suggest that you are yet another set of ludicrous gymnastics in order to make a non-existent point.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:34 pm 

Kreuzberger wrote:
I certainly don't disagree that there is a credibility deficit which is only made worse by inaccuracies and shooting from the hip.

It should not go unnoticed though that corrections are, by and large, published within hours both on social media as well as on the original platform.

Yes, it would seem so, but not apologies or any hint of contrition.

Quote:
The same cannot be said for the Express or most of the established press.

Broadly speaking the dead tree press does print corrections too, though variable in both prominence and quality. I don't think that Skwawkbox and its siblings has any particular claim to superiority here.

Quote:
That, together with the many stories Skwawkbox has covered uncontentiously yet had been somehow "overlooked" by the tory press, should suggest that they do care about getting it right.

Really not at all convinced by that. Skwawkbox et al seem to me considerably more concerned with a partisan agenda than with upholding standards.

Quote:
To side with the non-doms is to do their bidding.

Eh? Who's siding with the non-doms? Not me, and probably not LJ's B either. I'd reiterate that in my view Skwawkbox, The Canary, AAV, Evolve Politics and the like seem to me to a sort of distaff Express & Mail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:01 pm 

Abernathy wrote:
Quote:
To side with the non-doms is to do their bidding.

Eh? Who's siding with the non-doms? Not me, and probably not LJ's B either. I'd reiterate that in my view Skwawkbox, The Canary, AAV, Evolve Politics and the like seem to me to a sort of distaff Express & Mail.

The OP did reference a DM story to try to slam dunk his point. That is collaboration in my book.

Again, you will find no argument from me as to the need for superior journalistic standards but I would suggest that "Skwawkbox, The Canary, AAV, Evolve Politics and the like" need to be cut some slack when it comes to honest and over-eager mistakes. They are well-meaning activists without the legion hordes of editorial and legal staff to pore over every comma and full stop. They are largely unpaid bloggers and not six-figure salaried carrier pigeons for the owners' long-standing mates.

Call them out, by all means. Hold them to the standards to which they aspire, oan yersel. But, to flatly traduce their efforts by citing a mail smear is simply not on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:21 pm 

Kreuzberger wrote:

The OP did reference a DM story to try to slam dunk his point. That is collaboration in my book.

Harsh, I think. I've seen the same story reported elsewhere and broadly speaking they all adopted the same scoffing tone.

Quote:
Again, you will find no argument from me as to the need for superior journalistic standards but I would suggest that "Skwawkbox, The Canary, AAV, Evolve Politics and the like" need to be cut some slack when it comes to honest and over-eager mistakes. They are well-meaning activists without the legion hordes of editorial and legal staff to pore over every comma and full stop. They are largely unpaid bloggers and not six-figure salaried carrier pigeons for the owners' long-standing mates.

There's a quantitative difference, but the bottom line must be that there is no room to afford them a qualitative allowance on the basis that they are well-meaning. On an empirical level clearly the damage inflicted by Mail/Express etc is far worse, but the others don't get a free pass, in my view.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:50 pm 

Quote:

Exactly, I have no love for Dacre or Desmond, but I also have no time for the like of Skwawkbox and the Canary I see them as no better Breitbart or order order offering easy answers and cheap smears run by dubious individuals like Steve Walker or Mendoza. What we need is something along the lines of Vox media in America. Vox are broadly Liberal/Left leaning, but the secret is they explain the news, they break it down and don't always provide easy answers and whilst there headlines are a bit clickbaity their stories are often very good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:03 am 

Quote:

Harsh, I think. I've seen the same story reported elsewhere and broadly speaking they all adopted the same scoffing tone.

It's because of things like that I ended up blocking Kreuzberger.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:35 am 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
Littlejohn's brain wrote:
Quote:

It's because of things like that I ended up blocking Kreuzberger.

Give over. We're sick of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:45 am 

I didn't think his identity was any secret. Not least because he was named by the dreadful now ex-MP Charlotte Leslie under Parliamentary Privilege.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:39 pm 

Thursday, 6 July 2017
Skwawkbox - Mail NHS Claim UNTRUE

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2017/ ... ntrue.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:04 pm 

Since it's a free service he must have money to burn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:31 pm 

There are plenty of ways for a company to make money without directly charging the NHS for the use of the service.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:01 pm 

Perhaps it's best not to use Daily Mail articles as 'evidence' to prove your point in future.