It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: The public attitude to politicians

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 pm
Posts: 7338
mattomac wrote:
I actually noticed it in football at first, I could never hate Everton or Man Utd to the point I'd call them scum or make airplane gestures.

Similarly I find anyone who uses Bradford or Hillsborough as some kind of reason to hurl abuse baffles me. I'm not a particularly confrontational person (that's why I prefer leafleting to canvassing) but I have friends who are fans of all clubs (Two really good mates who are Spurs fans) and yet I'm supposed to hate Spurs for some reason because this bloke has been on a Spurs forum and they call us all names under the sun.

Sorry but about 5 post above that is someone calling Man Utd scum. This guy who I've picked up through Labour can't stop with the angry faces and comments on anything Liverpool related. Just baffles me.

I would say Hillsborough was a turning point but it was a long time before that, The Sun just realised they could stoke this resentment up even though several other fan groups knew that Hillsborough and other grounds were death traps.


I've noticed this as well. As the violence lessened the hatred increased.

_________________
There is no polite word for a man like Ian Duncan Smith. He is just the dregs at the bottom of ambition's barrel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 pm
Posts: 4485
Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
I don't like it either. I am a Manc and I don't have a problem with Liverpool. I think the hatred between Liverpool and Man U is a relatively recent thing at the point where it now is. My theory is that it was resentment during the 80s when Liverpool became hugely successful, but it was felt by many that Man U were more famous than Liverpool, despite the fact that, at that time, United were doing very little in comparison, apart from two F A Cups in 83 and 85.

_________________
Were going to hell in a handcart, you couldn't make it up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:34 am
Posts: 10881
Location: Sorta London
davidjay wrote:
mattomac wrote:
I actually noticed it in football at first, I could never hate Everton or Man Utd to the point I'd call them scum or make airplane gestures.

Similarly I find anyone who uses Bradford or Hillsborough as some kind of reason to hurl abuse baffles me. I'm not a particularly confrontational person (that's why I prefer leafleting to canvassing) but I have friends who are fans of all clubs (Two really good mates who are Spurs fans) and yet I'm supposed to hate Spurs for some reason because this bloke has been on a Spurs forum and they call us all names under the sun.

Sorry but about 5 post above that is someone calling Man Utd scum. This guy who I've picked up through Labour can't stop with the angry faces and comments on anything Liverpool related. Just baffles me.

I would say Hillsborough was a turning point but it was a long time before that, The Sun just realised they could stoke this resentment up even though several other fan groups knew that Hillsborough and other grounds were death traps.


I've noticed this as well. As the violence lessened the hatred increased.


Yeah I wonder if that isolation inflirated itself into the mainstream fandom, I guess the fact many of those spouting shit don't actually go to matches so don't meet fellow fans on the trains and buses around the stadium.

Mind you since the 80's the country has got darker.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 pm
Posts: 16884
Location: Liverpool
On a purely political level I blame Tebbit. Even in the 1980s the rest of the Tory front bench kept up a veneer of old school civility. Tebbit made everything a moral issue though - it wasn't enough to disagree, one had to viscerally hate the opposition for merely existing.

_________________
"It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail." - Gore Vidal.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 pm
Posts: 4485
Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
And on a media level McKuntzie and the Scum in general.

_________________
Were going to hell in a handcart, you couldn't make it up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Posts: 13052
Location: West Midlands
There's a story in the Sunday Times about how during the election Tory candidates were subjected to abuse and intimidation. Whilst some on here have been content to blame this on the right. We on the left have to take our share of the responsibility for this. Too many people in the left beleive that because their left-wing their better people, anyone on the right is evil and this is the result, a poisoned political process where abuse is common.

_________________
Don't give me the Star Trek crap. it's too early in the morning.

Dave Lister, philosopher.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:12 pm
Posts: 1493
Location: Loughborough
Or we could say that the Tories have suddenly discovered that playing the victim card may have its dead cat uses


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 1:04 pm
Posts: 1074
Location: Baden, Switzerland
Watchman wrote:
Or we could say that the Tories have suddenly discovered that playing the victim card may have its dead cat uses


+1

_________________
No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 pm
Posts: 16884
Location: Liverpool
You say "vile abuse", we say "good natured heckling and the rough and tumble spirit of politics" and repeat the old bullshit adage about sticks, stones and words.

As I've been saying on here for the last 10 years to questionable effect, it's not WHAT is being said, but WHO is saying it that matters.

_________________
"It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail." - Gore Vidal.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Posts: 13052
Location: West Midlands
Andy McDandy wrote:
You say "vile abuse", we say "good natured heckling and the rough and tumble spirit of politics" and repeat the old bullshit adage about sticks, stones and words.

As I've been saying on here for the last 10 years to questionable effect, it's not WHAT is being said, but WHO is saying it that matters.


Hey Andy is this good natured heckling and the rough and tumble spirit of politics?


Quote:
One MP had to call the police after being told he would be “strung up” in a chilling online message that left staff fearing an attack.


I suppose it was just banter.

_________________
Don't give me the Star Trek crap. it's too early in the morning.

Dave Lister, philosopher.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:04 pm
Posts: 17809
How many of these abusers wear a Labour rosette? I can't think of a better way of attracting a hysterically angry niche of voters than putting fox hunting and ivory trading in your manifesto. Are the ALF still around?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Posts: 13052
Location: West Midlands
youngian wrote:
How many of these abusers wear a Labour rosette? I can't think of a better way of attracting a hysterically angry niche of voters than putting fox hunting and ivory trading in your manifesto. Are the ALF still around?


I'm not saying that there Labour members, probably just the usual far left suspects and anti-politicos.

_________________
Don't give me the Star Trek crap. it's too early in the morning.

Dave Lister, philosopher.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 pm
Posts: 7338
Andy McDandy wrote:
You say "vile abuse", we say "good natured heckling and the rough and tumble spirit of politics" and repeat the old bullshit adage about sticks, stones and words.

As I've been saying on here for the last 10 years to questionable effect, it's not WHAT is being said, but WHO is saying it that matters.


While the nation seems more aggressive/confrontational, there's also a tendency to get offended by things that would have been laughed off previously.

_________________
There is no polite word for a man like Ian Duncan Smith. He is just the dregs at the bottom of ambition's barrel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Posts: 13052
Location: West Midlands
davidjay wrote:
Andy McDandy wrote:
You say "vile abuse", we say "good natured heckling and the rough and tumble spirit of politics" and repeat the old bullshit adage about sticks, stones and words.

As I've been saying on here for the last 10 years to questionable effect, it's not WHAT is being said, but WHO is saying it that matters.


While the nation seems more aggressive/confrontational, there's also a tendency to get offended by things that would have been laughed off previously.


Yes twenty years ago someone putting swastikas on Tory posters would have been considered hilarious.

_________________
Don't give me the Star Trek crap. it's too early in the morning.

Dave Lister, philosopher.


Last edited by Littlejohn's brain on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 pm
Posts: 4485
Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
It's an outrage! I must write an angry letter to the Daily Mail about it

_________________
Were going to hell in a handcart, you couldn't make it up!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Fatal: ./cache/ is NOT writable.