It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Re: The public attitude to politicians

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:20 pm 

mattomac wrote:
I actually noticed it in football at first, I could never hate Everton or Man Utd to the point I'd call them scum or make airplane gestures.

Similarly I find anyone who uses Bradford or Hillsborough as some kind of reason to hurl abuse baffles me. I'm not a particularly confrontational person (that's why I prefer leafleting to canvassing) but I have friends who are fans of all clubs (Two really good mates who are Spurs fans) and yet I'm supposed to hate Spurs for some reason because this bloke has been on a Spurs forum and they call us all names under the sun.

Sorry but about 5 post above that is someone calling Man Utd scum. This guy who I've picked up through Labour can't stop with the angry faces and comments on anything Liverpool related. Just baffles me.

I would say Hillsborough was a turning point but it was a long time before that, The Sun just realised they could stoke this resentment up even though several other fan groups knew that Hillsborough and other grounds were death traps.

I've noticed this as well. As the violence lessened the hatred increased.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:33 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
I don't like it either. I am a Manc and I don't have a problem with Liverpool. I think the hatred between Liverpool and Man U is a relatively recent thing at the point where it now is. My theory is that it was resentment during the 80s when Liverpool became hugely successful, but it was felt by many that Man U were more famous than Liverpool, despite the fact that, at that time, United were doing very little in comparison, apart from two F A Cups in 83 and 85.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:33 pm 

davidjay wrote:
mattomac wrote:
I actually noticed it in football at first, I could never hate Everton or Man Utd to the point I'd call them scum or make airplane gestures.

Similarly I find anyone who uses Bradford or Hillsborough as some kind of reason to hurl abuse baffles me. I'm not a particularly confrontational person (that's why I prefer leafleting to canvassing) but I have friends who are fans of all clubs (Two really good mates who are Spurs fans) and yet I'm supposed to hate Spurs for some reason because this bloke has been on a Spurs forum and they call us all names under the sun.

Sorry but about 5 post above that is someone calling Man Utd scum. This guy who I've picked up through Labour can't stop with the angry faces and comments on anything Liverpool related. Just baffles me.

I would say Hillsborough was a turning point but it was a long time before that, The Sun just realised they could stoke this resentment up even though several other fan groups knew that Hillsborough and other grounds were death traps.

I've noticed this as well. As the violence lessened the hatred increased.

Yeah I wonder if that isolation inflirated itself into the mainstream fandom, I guess the fact many of those spouting shit don't actually go to matches so don't meet fellow fans on the trains and buses around the stadium.

Mind you since the 80's the country has got darker.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:59 pm 

On a purely political level I blame Tebbit. Even in the 1980s the rest of the Tory front bench kept up a veneer of old school civility. Tebbit made everything a moral issue though - it wasn't enough to disagree, one had to viscerally hate the opposition for merely existing.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:06 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
And on a media level McKuntzie and the Scum in general.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:47 am 

There's a story in the Sunday Times about how during the election Tory candidates were subjected to abuse and intimidation. Whilst some on here have been content to blame this on the right. We on the left have to take our share of the responsibility for this. Too many people in the left beleive that because their left-wing their better people, anyone on the right is evil and this is the result, a poisoned political process where abuse is common.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:59 am 

Or we could say that the Tories have suddenly discovered that playing the victim card may have its dead cat uses

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:09 am 

Watchman wrote:
Or we could say that the Tories have suddenly discovered that playing the victim card may have its dead cat uses

+1

No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:01 am 

You say "vile abuse", we say "good natured heckling and the rough and tumble spirit of politics" and repeat the old bullshit adage about sticks, stones and words.

As I've been saying on here for the last 10 years to questionable effect, it's not WHAT is being said, but WHO is saying it that matters.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:24 pm 

Andy McDandy wrote:
You say "vile abuse", we say "good natured heckling and the rough and tumble spirit of politics" and repeat the old bullshit adage about sticks, stones and words.

As I've been saying on here for the last 10 years to questionable effect, it's not WHAT is being said, but WHO is saying it that matters.

Hey Andy is this good natured heckling and the rough and tumble spirit of politics?

Quote:
One MP had to call the police after being told he would be “strung up” in a chilling online message that left staff fearing an attack.

I suppose it was just banter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:46 pm 

How many of these abusers wear a Labour rosette? I can't think of a better way of attracting a hysterically angry niche of voters than putting fox hunting and ivory trading in your manifesto. Are the ALF still around?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:24 pm 

youngian wrote:
How many of these abusers wear a Labour rosette? I can't think of a better way of attracting a hysterically angry niche of voters than putting fox hunting and ivory trading in your manifesto. Are the ALF still around?

I'm not saying that there Labour members, probably just the usual far left suspects and anti-politicos.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:14 pm 

Andy McDandy wrote:

While the nation seems more aggressive/confrontational, there's also a tendency to get offended by things that would have been laughed off previously.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:27 pm 

davidjay wrote:
Andy McDandy wrote:

While the nation seems more aggressive/confrontational, there's also a tendency to get offended by things that would have been laughed off previously.

Yes twenty years ago someone putting swastikas on Tory posters would have been considered hilarious.

Last edited by Littlejohn's brain on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:47 pm 

It's an outrage! I must write an angry letter to the Daily Mail about it