It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Re: The War against the Internet

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:13 pm 

I can't really agree. The tabloid press took a conscious decision, long before the Internet became a thing, to concentrate on sleb gossip and whitewashing/character assassinating politicians (depending on their party/views) and "gee whiz" stuff, and to present this to their readership as what they ought to be interested in. Now the Internet provides that faster than the pissed old hacks can keep up with, and they're special pleading where normally they'd be going "Can't keep up, grandad? Off to the knacker's yard with you!". They hastened their own decline. Be done with them.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:04 am 

I'm dubious about the sinister manipulation of the public in the EURef by data mining company Cambridge Analytica. They are one of many companies that target adverts to Facebook users but apparently, they are using military psyop techniques to warp minds. This Newsnight report suggests their over-zealous PR department watches too many Cold War spy fantasies to make themselves sound cleverer than they are. Hhow much money Leave.EU spent is another question. As is how often do the Brexit voting demographic even go online.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-4042362 ... referendum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:55 am 

Has been mentioned elsewhere, but again with the technical illiteracy.

Theresa May to warn tech firms over terror content

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41327816

Quote:
The prime minister will also host a meeting with other world leaders and Facebook, Microsoft and Twitter.

She will challenge social networks and search engines to find fixes to take down terrorist material in two hours.

Tech giant Google said firms were doing their part but could not do it alone - governments and users needed to help.

Google bloke pointed out
Quote:
The challenge is once it's removed, many people re-post it or there are copies of it across the web.

Also interesting

Quote:
But she will urge them to go "further and faster" in developing artificial intelligence solutions to automatically reduce the period in which terror propaganda remains available, and eventually prevent it appearing at all.

Now let's examine the facts.

1. Google and Facebook rarely "Host" this sort of material (In the traditional sense of hosting).
What they do is publish links to the material (In google's case that's all that they do), social media platforms may also display a copy, but Twitter typically contains a headline and a TinyURL.
Removing these references will reduce accidental exposure to casual users, but not erase the source.
Computers are extremely good at copying data quickly, so at best this strategy becomes a blend of Pokemon Go, Assassin's Creed and Whack-a-mole.

2. Artificial intelligence is an interesting idea, but I can't see Mrs May and her press pals being satisfied with the results.
A.I. typically lacks the "Common sense" that the media used to distinguish between Abu Hamza and Thomas Mair.
We can all imagine the outrage when these "P.C. Bots" start redacting Farages latest "Grab a rifle" brainfart, Rod Liddle's post lunch ramblings for the Sun, or Katie Hopkin's standard output.

3. I'm sure it plays well with the Sid and Dorris Bonkers demographic.

4. None of the usual press pack have the wit or gorm to question the spurious policies.

Last edited by Bones McCoy on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 pm 

Quote:
I'm sure it plays well with the Sid and Dorris Bonkers demographic.

As someone pointed out before the Tories are not talking to the technically literate. And we've discussed this press campaign is self-serving as the tech giants now gobble up over 80 per cent of online ad revenues.

Whatever the dangers of these behemoths the new tech plutocrats use their vast fortunes to leave the world a better place. Bill Gates' ambition is now to wipe out polio, Elon Musk builds electric cars and rockets to colonise Mars while Murdoch uses his power to tell us to hate our neighbours who are not 'one of us.'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
+1
(and +1 from Mrs A)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:24 pm 

youngian wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure it plays well with the Sid and Dorris Bonkers demographic.

As someone pointed out before the Tories are not talking to the technically literate. And we've discussed this press campaign is self-serving as the tech giants now gobble up over 80 per cent of online ad revenues.

Whatever the dangers of these behemoths the new tech plutocrats use their vast fortunes to leave the world a better place. Bill Gates' ambition is now to wipe out polio, Elon Musk builds electric cars and rockets to colonise Mars while Murdoch uses his power to tell us to hate our neighbours who are not 'one of us.'

Double thumbs-up from here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:25 pm 

The internet is well up there on Brexit's war on modern life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:15 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
The only two things on that list I would say were negative are capitalism and globalisation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:19 pm 

Globalisation is a reality that is not going to be put back in the box and I don't believe a wholly protectionist economy would make many better off apart from business people selling overpriced crap to a captive market. The way to control international forces is for politics to catch up with the economics. These idiot Brexiters think nationalising politics in an internationalised economy will give them more control.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:25 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
I know it isn't going to go away, but I feel it a tool of capitalists to drive down wages to maximise their profits. What could be a good thing, exchange of resources, ideas, trade etc, has been manipulated into a bad one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:53 pm 

youngian wrote:
Globalisation is a reality that is not going to be put back in the box and I don't believe a wholly protectionist economy would make many better off apart from business people selling overpriced crap to a captive market. The way to control international forces is for politics to catch up with the economics. These idiot Brexiters think nationalising politics in an internationalised economy will give them more control.

They remind me of Benn and his alternative to the IMF.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 pm 

Littlejohn's brain wrote:
youngian wrote:

They remind me of Benn and his alternative to the IMF.

In what way?