It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136  Next

Re: Scottish independence

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:03 am 

Killer Whale wrote:
Impartial civil service news:

Quote:
The Treasury’s Scotland Analysis Programme Team won the Cabinet Secretary and Head of the Civil Service Award in this year’s Civil Service Awards.

The team was tasked with producing analysis in the lead-up to the Scottish referendum of how both, Scotland and the rest of the UK, benefit from being part of one country.

The award, which is aimed at “an individual or team who deserves particular recognition for their outstanding achievement in making a difference on an issue of national significance”, was handed to the winners at the awards ceremony held on Wednesday, 19 November, at Lancaster House.

Cabinet Secretary and civil service head Sir Jeremy Heywood (centre) presented the award to team members (from right to left) Paul Doyle, Will MacFarlane, Shannon Cochrane, and Mario Pisani.

Pisani said: “In the Treasury, everyone hates you. We don't get thanks for anything. This is one occasion where we've worked with the rest of Whitehall.

"We all had something in common, we're trying to save the Union here, and it came so close. We just kept it by the skin of our teeth. I actually cried when the result came in. After 10 years in the civil service, my proudest moment is tonight and receiving this award.”

http://www.civilserviceworld.com/articl ... vice-award

Wasn't "saving the union" the position of the UK government?

Just as the DfE spend all their time bigging up academies and free schools. They aren't neutral on them because the government isn't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:04 am 

These Whitehall people don't seem to have done all that brilliantly. Being too obviously pro union, they ensured that more neutral stuff like the OBR got unfairly tainted by them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:13 am 

Scrupulously impartial monarch news:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... vote-fears

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:17 am 

Littlejohn's brain wrote:
It's also their pro-union bias that's caused oil prices to plummet contrary to the predictions made by the completely impartial SNP white paper.

Surprising they didn't consult a supporter with experience of oil geopolitics like a former Central Asia based diplomat. It does sound like Murray is going the same way as David Shayler and is not in the best of health.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:36 am 

Yes given that he was a former ambassador it's nice to see Murray putting all that diplomatic training to good use.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:43 pm 

Who wouldn't want to pack up and leave when they get patronised like this?

https://archive.today/7O9mW

BTW, anyone else wondering how England gets a major constitutional change (EVEL) via a simple vote in parliament when we seemingly have to have a referendum every time Carwyn Jones wants to change his underwear?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:55 pm 

Not sure the government being able to bring in a major constitutional change like that is a sign of England having some enviable position.

Same with the London Assembly as the Welsh Assembly. Though before having any more powers, I'd like to see the powers of the mayor circumscribed a fair bit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:03 pm 

Killer Whale wrote:

You do realise that you just tried to use a telegraph article, by Dan Hodges, to back up your case, right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:55 pm 

Killer Whale wrote:
we seemingly have to have a referendum every time Carwyn Jones wants to change his underwear?

Q. "Should Mr Carwyn Jones put on clean undercrackers? "

YES

NO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:18 pm 

Abernathy wrote:
...undercrackers...

I just fucking love that word. Genius.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:46 pm 

lord_kobel wrote:
Killer Whale wrote:

You do realise that you just tried to use a telegraph article, by Dan Hodges, to back up your case, right?

Before you know he's going to start linking to Wings Over Scotland

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:37 am 

lord_kobel wrote:
Killer Whale wrote:

What case?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:09 am 

That scotland are right to "want to pack up and leave when they get patronised like this", rather than realise that hodges and the torygraph are just cunts in general and shouldn't be used to make any point other than that they are cunts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:16 am 

That's more of a throwaway remark than a 'case'. Fucking hell, if Mailwatchers were to desist from posting links to illogical, desperate nonsense on newspaper websites then there would be nothing here. Hodges has his own thread. What's that for if not for pointing out how wrong he is? Or do we only post links to stuff that broadly re-enforces our party line?

See also numerous examples of "Scottish civic nationalism is wrong because: CYBERNATS!!!11!!1111!!!111!!" on this very thread.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:37 am 

Scottish civic nationalism? Do you mean Scottish nationalism? Or something else? Because I've never seen anyone on this thread complain about civic nationalism. Nationalism, though, plenty times.

I've said myself that I find nationalism in general a repugnant ideology, and as a Scot I particulary find its iteration in Scotland to be tragic and worrying. The rhetoric from the Nats during the referendum campaign was often appalling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136  Next