It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443 ... 455  Next

Re: Europe? And the Future of Britain in Europe

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:52 pm
Posts: 8569
Location: Dirty XBerg 36
Arnold wrote:
Quote:
Cabinet meets to discuss Theresa May's Florence speech on Brexit - Politics live


https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... e#comments

There's nothing like allowing plenty of time. And that's nothing like it.


I'm not sure which comment Arnie is referring to in that link. It may well be this one;

Quote:
Where in the fucking world would people be convened to discuss and decide a policy of vital national importance - in an non emergency situation- on a morning where the principal had flown in overnight, jet lagged, following a seven hour flight? The UN meeting is scheduled a year in advance. What serious person would shoehorn a cabinet meeting in the day between that and an agenda setting meeting in Florence? What a way to run a country.

Insanity.

_________________
Selbstgerechte Fotze


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:42 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:00 am
Posts: 12699
Location: Sunny Sussex
I was referring to the headline but the comment also picked up my point. Discussion of her speech should have been well before now.

_________________
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets, and steal loaves of bread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:23 pm
Posts: 9995
Location: ...THEY'VE WON.
I should think the Cabinet had already approved the speech but following BoJo4000 it may have needed tinkering with to ensure there's no sign of splits in the Cabinet. The other purpose of th emeeting is probably to hand out dire warnings that any divergence from a united Cabinet would see the removal of ministers from their posts.

_________________
The lunatic is in the hall.
The lunatics are in my hall.
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:24 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:00 am
Posts: 12699
Location: Sunny Sussex
Daley Mayle wrote:
I should think the Cabinet had already approved the speech


In normal times that would be a given, but.......

_________________
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets, and steal loaves of bread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:26 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:00 am
Posts: 12699
Location: Sunny Sussex
Quote:
The Treasury's reluctance to even "mention the positives" of leaving the European Union risks Britain getting a bad Brexit deal, Theresa May's former chief of staff has warned.

What positives?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... deal-nick/

_________________
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets, and steal loaves of bread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 pm
Posts: 16705
Location: Liverpool
Sounds like someone out of a job but still with contacts and trying to stay relevant.

_________________
"It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail." - Gore Vidal.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 11:46 pm
Posts: 36048
Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
Arnold wrote:
Daley Mayle wrote:
I should think the Cabinet had already approved the speech


In normal times that would be a given, but.......

BBC reporter saying that some had seen an early draft, but for most it was the first time they had seen the whole thing.
Presumably because the cabinet leaks like a sieve.

_________________
To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty. Lao Tzu



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:23 pm
Posts: 9995
Location: ...THEY'VE WON.
Arnold wrote:
Quote:
The Treasury's reluctance to even "mention the positives" of leaving the European Union risks Britain getting a bad Brexit deal, Theresa May's former chief of staff has warned.

What positives?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... deal-nick/



Gather 'round me, everybody
Gather 'round me while I'm preachin'
Feel a sermon comin' on me
The topic will be sin and that's what I'm ag'in'
If you wanna hear my story
Then settle back and just sit tight
While I start reviewin'
The attitude of doin' right

You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
Bring gloom down to the minimum
Have faith or pandemonium's
Liable to walk upon the scene

_________________
The lunatic is in the hall.
The lunatics are in my hall.
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 pm
Posts: 4237
Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
The trouble is that the only people who focus on, and have some idea about, the practical difficulties likely to be encountered with in Brexit are the ones who voted against it.

_________________
Were going to hell in a handcart, you couldn't make it up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:23 pm
Posts: 9995
Location: ...THEY'VE WON.
mr angry manchester wrote:
The trouble is that the only people who focus on, and have some idea about, the practical difficulties likely to be encountered with in Brexit are the ones who voted against it.



Oh the Brexshitters do know, they jes' ain't sayin'... you got to accentuate etc

_________________
The lunatic is in the hall.
The lunatics are in my hall.
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:33 pm
Posts: 22812
Location: South Wales
Traitor lefty media Bloomberg don't think divide and rule is going well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... rvey-shows

Amazingly, it turns out Barnier isn't a "Eurocrat" making it up as he goes along. He's, er, working for member states and has their support.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:08 am
Posts: 14855
Daley Mayle wrote:
Arnold wrote:
Quote:
The Treasury's reluctance to even "mention the positives" of leaving the European Union risks Britain getting a bad Brexit deal, Theresa May's former chief of staff has warned.

What positives?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... deal-nick/



Gather 'round me, everybody
Gather 'round me while I'm preachin'
Feel a sermon comin' on me
The topic will be sin and that's what I'm ag'in'
If you wanna hear my story
Then settle back and just sit tight
While I start reviewin'
The attitude of doin' right

You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
Bring gloom down to the minimum
Have faith or pandemonium's
Liable to walk upon the scene


I used to like that song.

Brexit ruins everything.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:52 pm
Posts: 8569
Location: Dirty XBerg 36
Holy smoke.

The really rather good Faisal Islam is saying that, following the Home Office's various deportation threats and Amber Rudd's casual attitude to the rule of law, Barnier is demanding that the European citizens in the UK retain recourse to the ECJ in perpetuity.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/ ... 2461955073

_________________
Selbstgerechte Fotze


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:42 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:04 pm
Posts: 17462
Apart from fringe nationalist nutters does anyone care if EU citizens retain their full rights? Unfortunately, fringe nationalist nutters make up a third of the Tory backbenches or join UKIP to steal Tory votes. That's who May is negotiating on behalf.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:36 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:00 am
Posts: 12699
Location: Sunny Sussex
Kreuzberger wrote:
Holy smoke.

The really rather good Faisal Islam is saying that, following the Home Office's various deportation threats and Amber Rudd's casual attitude to the rule of law, Barnier is demanding that the European citizens in the UK retain recourse to the ECJ in perpetuity.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/ ... 2461955073

But we are all EU citizens in the UK until the UK leaves.

_________________
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets, and steal loaves of bread.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443 ... 455  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arnold and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Fatal: ./cache/ is NOT writable.