It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next

Re: Is It Wrong to Still Hate Thatcher?

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:04 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
Naw, Franco doesn't deserve to be on the same level as Thatchcunt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:04 am 

'Please bury deep': the hidden memo urging Thatcher to denounce apartheid

Downing Street papers show officials concealed Geoffrey Howe’s plea in 1986 for the PM to attack apartheid as ‘totally repugnant'

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -apartheid

See also:
Revealed: Thatcher aides campaigned against Heseltine over Westland affair

Downing Street documents show Charles Powell urging PM to give her defence secretary a ‘shut up or quit’ ultimatum at January 1986 cabinet meeting

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... and-affair

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:20 pm 

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie – out, out, out? The battle for Thatcher’s EU legacy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:48 am 

It looks like it might not be such a good year for Maggie's former mates in South Yorkshire. First Hillsborough, now this...

Quote:
The police watchdog is considering releasing an unredacted version of its review of South Yorkshire Police's handling of events at the so-called Battle of Orgreave in 1984.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said it was examining whether there were any remaining legal issues preventing its publication.
Thousands of striking miners and police clashed at Orgreave coking plant.
A redacted version of the report was published last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-36199621

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:06 am 

I imagine the first line of defence on Orgreave will be; it wuz the Met what dun it, and run away!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:12 am 

Blah blah blah striking miners blah blah dropped a slab blah blah David Wilkie blah blah look over there...

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:37 pm 

Things are not looking good at all...

Quote:
Exclusive: The links between South Yorkshire Police Hillsborough and Orgreave ‘cover-ups’ five years apart

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/exclusive-the-links-between-south-yorkshire-police-hillsborough-and-orgreave-cover-ups-five-years-apart-1-7890633#ixzz47gUzrpSI

Calls for a new inquiry into the 1984 Battle of Orgreave were growing tonight after previously censored documents revealed links between an alleged cover-up carried out by senior South Yorkshire Police officers at the time and the force’s actions five years later at Hillsborough.
Redacted sections of a watchdog’s report into clashes between police and striking miners reveal that the same senior officers and solicitor were involved both in the aftermath of Orgreave and of Britain’s worst sporting disaster in 1989...

...Home Secretary Theresa May is facing calls to launch a new inquiry into the 1984 scandal, which saw 95 miners arrested at the Orgreave coking plant, near Rotherham, after clashes with police which left 50 people injured. When the cases came to court, all were abandoned after it became clear that evidence provided by police was unreliable...

...Sections of the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) dossier, seen exclusively by The Yorkshire Post, reveal that these officials became aware South Yorkshire Police officers had perjured themselves at the miners’ trial in 1984, but kept this fact secret.

Another officer interviewed about the alleged Hillsborough cover-up by South Yorkshire Police claimed that some of his colleagues were told by unspecified officers not to write anything in their notebooks at the time of Orgreave and then instructed to do the same in the aftermath of the 1989 disaster...

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:04 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
Please, please let Thatchcunt's reputation end up like Savilles. Never to be mentioned and airbrushed out of the picture to stop far right loons harping on about the evil bitch

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:33 pm 

Thing is, Saville didn't make anyone any money, apart from himself. Thatcher made quite a few people very rich indeed, and they'll always be grateful.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:36 pm 

Andy McDandy wrote:
Thing is, Saville didn't make anyone any money, apart from himself. Thatcher made quite a few people very rich indeed, and they'll always be grateful.

On the other hand there are a load of Twentysomethings who bought the bullshit about "She saved the country", "Bodies piling up on bin-day", "You couldn't even knock a Sikh off a motorbike without the CND bully boys calling you names"...
Sorry about that..
And I think It wouldn't do any harm for them to see a more realistic side of the nation's saviour

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:54 am 

Good point Bones. Lets not forget that she left power hated, the Tories started to see her as a liability and towards the end of 1981 she was in serious trouble, the lowest approval ever of any prime minister. Baled out by the unnecessary (deliberately engineered?) Falklands War

Her reputation is solely based on lies and propaganda from the right wing media, behind the bullshit, there is nothing to back it up. The media WANT you to think that the country was a mess before her, it wasn't.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 am 

Indeed. The entire "Crisis? What crisis?" thing. For me one of the great examples of the media not reporting, not setting, but inventing the agenda.

Aside from Callaghan never saying it, it was a thoroughly nasty trap to walk into. Is there a crisis? Say yes and you're admitting things are bad. Say no, and you're a denier. Either way you lose.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 am 

Exactly. I remember the so called "winter of discontent" well, I was 19 in January 79, it was my first winter of going to work. The strikes lasted about 2 weeks and the weather was bad, which aided the propaganda machine. The whole thing was exaggerated to buggery by the media to suit their agenda

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:42 pm 

S Yorks Police "caretaker manager" backs an inquiry into Orgreave

Quote:
The new chief constable of South Yorkshire Police has said he would welcome a new independent investigation into the 1984 Battle of Orgreave after links emerged between the scandal and the Hillsborough disaster five years later...

...Dave Jones, who took over interim chief constable at South Yorkshire Police this week after his predecessor David Crompton was suspended in the aftermath of the Hillsborough inquests verdict, today issued a statement saying he would welcome “an appropriate independent assessment” of the events of 1984.

He said: “The Hillsborough Inquests have brought into sharp focus the need to understand and confront the past and give people the opportunity to explore the circumstances of such significant events.

“I would therefore welcome an appropriate independent assessment of Orgreave accepting that the way in which this is delivered is a matter for the Home Secretary.”

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/battle-of-orgreave-south-yorkshire-police-chief-would-welcome-new-investigation-1-7894222#ixzz47nBr1zcR

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:30 pm 

mr angry manchester wrote:
Exactly. I remember the so called "winter of discontent" well, I was 19 in January 79, it was my first winter of going to work. The strikes lasted about 2 weeks and the weather was bad, which aided the propaganda machine. The whole thing was exaggerated to buggery by the media to suit their agenda

This is my point exactly. The winners have written history to such an extent that the seventies are now generally regarded as a decade of strikes and shortages while the eighties were a time of unparalleled wealth, unashamed consumerism and opportunity for all. The social and economic devastation the evil witch caused never happened.

Last edited by davidjay on Fri May 06, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next