It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Re: Grenfell Fuckwit Thread

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:05 pm 

Brilliant, well done chaps. Well done everybody who's been wanting a bit of revolution chic.

We're in "Get that paediatrician!" territory.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:14 pm 

Where's all this stupidity and conspiralunacy over the numbers being a factor of ten out coming from?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:21 pm 

Yeh but he's a suit let's get him. If there's a bad economic downturn on the way this shit could well escalate. I think I'll take refuge in a saucy cabaret club and hope the Brownshirts don't break it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:42 pm 

Don't be an old bloke walking down Ealing High Street, on the evidence of the last time it kicked off.

Boiler, anything not in the MSM must be true.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:45 pm 

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Brilliant, well done chaps. Well done everybody who's been wanting a bit of revolution chic.

We're in "Get that paediatrician!" territory.

A few people on twitter are saying this is the fault of McDonnell.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:15 pm 

That's silly.

Some support for the people identifying victims wouldn't have gone amiss though. Don't they realise they might be in government sometime and need the Met?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:42 pm 

If these demos McD has callled kick off I hope his head's on the block.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:14 am 

Boiler wrote:
Where's all this stupidity and conspiralunacy over the numbers being a factor of ten out coming from?

Misinformation, disinformation and vivid imaginations make great bedfellows in the void that is left when there is an absence of any plan or any strategy to make a bad situation better. Strong and stable leadership, if you will.

I believe that there is a time and a place for - ahem - taking matters in to one's own hands and, frankly, it is astounding that this hasn't already happened in Ladbroke Grove and the surrounding area. Tempers are running high. People are feeling that they have nothing more to lose. They are witnessing insult being heaped upon fatal injury.

This is not directed at you but let's all remain focussed not on who threw a frustrated punch or who undeservedly was on the other end. Rather, the institutional, wilful neglect that allowed this to become the horribly possible reality for two unknown individuals who, I'll wager, would rather have been doing not very much at all with their own partners and kids.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:18 am 

FFS. I've wondered for some time if we have a disease in our society that makes us force our perception of reality into narratives that match those of popular culture. This, I think, explains a large number of conspiracy theories that feature individuals or small groups being seen as responsible events and trends that are obviously the result of much wider societal factors. We increasingly also look to messianic superhero figures (and elite groups, maybe) to save us from threats, I think. Corbyn and possibly Farage fit into this, and Trump in the left-behind parts of the US.

Anyhow, this is shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:21 am 

Quote:
We increasingly also look to messianic superhero figures (and elite groups, maybe) to save us from threats, I think. Corbyn and possibly Farage fit into this, and Trump in the left-behind parts of the US.
That's the politics of populist demagoguery; the man on the white horse embodying the will of the people taking on the uncaring corrupt elites. Old as the hills and always ends in tears.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:28 am 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
That's narrativium, that is, as explained by that wise Mr Pratchett. The innate need to force any series of events into a pre-existing storyline.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:46 am 

Example par excellence: was in a pub just after the US attacked Syria with them cruise missiles.

Guy behind me: 'I think it was the CIA wot did that gassing, so then there was an excuse to attack'.
Murmurs of agreement and 'well, anything's possible these days, isn't it.'

The sheer range of problems with this logic, internal and external, almost blinded me. Or maybe that was the scrumpy. Either way. FFS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:38 pm 

Kreuzberger wrote:
Boiler wrote:

Misinformation, disinformation and vivid imaginations make great bedfellows in the void that is left when there is an absence of any plan or any strategy to make a bad situation better. Strong and stable leadership, if you will.

I believe that there is a time and a place for - ahem - taking matters in to one's own hands and, frankly, it is astounding that this hasn't already happened in Ladbroke Grove and the surrounding area. Tempers are running high. People are feeling that they have nothing more to lose. They are witnessing insult being heaped upon fatal injury.

This is not directed at you but let's all remain focussed not on who threw a frustrated punch or who undeservedly was on the other end. Rather, the institutional, wilful neglect that allowed this to become the horribly possible reality for two unknown individuals who, I'll wager, would rather have been doing not very much at all with their own partners and kids.

Depends what you mean by taking things into your own hands. It's a powder keg out there, and it can be no other way. The trouble is with powder kegs is they blow up and get people killed. It doesn't feel like it would end with (I don't know) mass squatting of empty properties.

I don't think anybody's telling the people who are close to the fire how to behave. It's others, further away from it, who I'm not happy with at all. Lily Allen has 5.97m followers, she's not a fringe figure. So far we've got off lightly with the 56 year old volunteer getting beaten up.

I don't think anybody's losing site of what happened at Grenfell.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:35 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
I would agree with that. There is a major issue about housing and we all know what has happened there. If it starts to get more heated we could be looking at a re run of the riots which broke out in 2011. No one wants that, lives could be at risk, it could encourage all sorts of unsavoury elements out into the open.

Then again, it provides the government with an excuse to become more repressive, appeasing the law and order Daily Mail element.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:00 pm 

Here's some fuckwittery this time from the right.

Oh and before people ask I did take the large out of the image but the image wouldn't display.
Fixed: Mod

Dave Lister, philosopher.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next