It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 104  Next

Re: 2017 General Election

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:15 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
Someone on here, cant remember who, a while ago commented that there are three types of Tory voter, and I thought it was a great analysis.

The three categories were morons, cunts and loons.

The morons are the Mrs Brady "eee, int it shocking, all them forriners, eeee" They read The Daily Express and are thick as pig shit. If you explained to them, in terms that a 10 year old could follow, why Labour might not stop them wearing poppies or whatever, they might be converted. They are probably the largest group.

The cunts are more difficult. They are greedy, selfish, money obsessed bastards who don't give a shit as long as they're OK. They most likely read The Sun, with the upper part of this group reading the Telegraph. If you were to convince them that a Labour government might actually benefit them in some way, and the Tories would cost them money, you might win a few over.

The final group, the loons, you are just wasting your time on. They are the swivel eyed, zombie-like crazies, they are reminiscent of the brainwashed adherents of some bloody awful "praise the Lord and send me lots of money" type American religious cult. If the Tories started dropping turds from the ceiling onto their heads they would "pwaise a cowageous decision by our glorious leader" they probably have statues of Thatcher at home. They read The Daily Mail

To win an election Labour will have to win votes from categories 1 and 2 above.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 pm 

Winning over category two got Blair elected.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:35 pm 

I would say a fourth

A fourth that voted Remain, where are the Ken Clarkes & John Majors? They must still exist, they can't surely think the language used by this PM and that is parroted by our press is suitable?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 pm 

mattomac wrote:
I would say a fourth

A fourth that voted Remain, where are the Ken Clarkes & John Majors? They must still exist, they can't surely think the language used by this PM and that is parroted by our press is suitable?

Party unity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:48 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
Yes, I would go along with category 4 - the non-headbanging end of the Tory party who have been marginalised ever since the 1980s.

They COULD form some part of an anti-Brexit coalition?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:58 pm 

mr angry manchester wrote:
Yes, I would go along with category 4 - the non-headbanging end of the Tory party who have been marginalised ever since the 1980s.

Sticking my head above the parapet as a sometime and occasional member of that 4th group (i.e. broadly free market but anti-austerity and socially liberal) and also someone who voted Tory last time (albeit to keep UKIP out), I thought I would let you know that I will be voting LD this time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:39 pm 

The Rationalist wrote:

Sticking my head above the parapet as a sometime and occasional member of that 4th group (i.e. broadly free market but anti-austerity and socially liberal) and also someone who voted Tory last time (albeit to keep UKIP out), I thought I would let you know that I will be voting LD this time.

Intriguing, thanks for the input, I had a guess some would cross over like that.

I have to say I've drifted in the last few months, I am more of a fan of moderation the world seems more stable with moderation rather than extremes.

I doubt there is enough of you in the Tory ranks anymore sadly. Michael Howard acted like a Barry Goldwater in a way (Though maybe IDS is a better example, from that point on the Tory Party seemed to get more nasty again. I have no doubt I could sit with some of them and have a chat and the idea of a "soft brexit" is palpable to some no doubt but the voices like those of the 48% are being drowned. which is weird, I do wonder mind is this not just another silent majority syndrome. I think that will be seen most in the Lib Dem vs Tory areas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:42 pm 

Kate Hoey is standing again in Vauxhall. I think I can safely chalk this one up as a Lib Dem victory.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm 

Major and Cameron knew the Tory party had to reach out to those who are economically and socially liberal as much as Blair. May has probably blown it with them post-Corbyn as they have with the aspirant offspring of EU workers. Like they did with Asian and Afro-Caribean voters before them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm 

mattomac wrote:
The Rationalist wrote:

Intriguing, thanks for the input, I had a guess some would cross over like that.

I have to say I've drifted in the last few months, I am more of a fan of moderation the world seems more stable with moderation rather than extremes.

I doubt there is enough of you in the Tory ranks anymore sadly. Michael Howard acted like a Barry Goldwater in a way (Though maybe IDS is a better example, from that point on the Tory Party seemed to get more nasty again. I have no doubt I could sit with some of them and have a chat and the idea of a "soft brexit" is palpable to some no doubt but the voices like those of the 48% are being drowned. which is weird, I do wonder mind is this not just another silent majority syndrome. I think that will be seen most in the Lib Dem vs Tory areas.

I definitely feel that I am without a proper home anymore. I think the current split between open and closed is playing out but the British political system (thanks I guess to first past the post, a change resistant media and voter inertia) is too inflexible to adapt to this new landscape unlike France where even if chaotic, there s still room for new ideas and new parties.

There is real nastiness in parts of the Tory Party but they are able to preserve a veneer of civility as evidenced by today's Aid decision (might have been different if Leadsom had been in charge) and given the wretchedness of Corbyn, many people don't bother to delve too deeply and assume they are a safe pair of hands. It gives me no pleasure to go to the LD's but I want to vote and they to my mind are the least bad of the current crop.

If someone offered me a new party with a Butskellite/Blairite/Ken Clarke vision of a world at ease with itself and others, then I would bit their hand off. But look around and can you anyone with the courage, intellect and charisma to disrupt the current landscape and build a new party in the fashion of a Macron. Sadly not and so we march on into mediocrity and a gentle drift away from the values I hold dear and have tried to instil into my children.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 pm 

The Tories go through regular rejections of being the Nasty Party- Cameron did, as did May, but I suspect they keep coming back to one inalienable fact - being nasty has consistently won them elections.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:17 pm 

The nastier they got, the more successful electorally they became. They weren't particularly nasty in the 60s and 70s, and were out of office for much of that period. In the 80s (79 actually) they went into full on bastard mode and won four on the run

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm 

Catkins wrote:
Kate Hoey is standing again in Vauxhall. I think I can safely chalk this one up as a Lib Dem victory.

Why? They voted for her enough times, what makes you think this will be any different?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:21 pm 

The Rationalist wrote:

I definitely feel that I am without a proper home anymore. I think the current split between open and closed is playing out but the British political system (thanks I guess to first past the post, a change resistant media and voter inertia) is too inflexible to adapt to this new landscape unlike France where even if chaotic, there s still room for new ideas and new parties.

There is real nastiness in parts of the Tory Party but they are able to preserve a veneer of civility as evidenced by today's Aid decision (might have been different if Leadsom had been in charge) and given the wretchedness of Corbyn, many people don't bother to delve too deeply and assume they are a safe pair of hands. It gives me no pleasure to go to the LD's but I want to vote and they to my mind are the least bad of the current crop.

If someone offered me a new party with a Butskellite/Blairite/Ken Clarke vision of a world at ease with itself and others, then I would bit their hand off. But look around and can you anyone with the courage, intellect and charisma to disrupt the current landscape and build a new party in the fashion of a Macron. Sadly not and so we march on into mediocrity and a gentle drift away from the values I hold dear and have tried to instil into my children.

I know how you feel about the home thing, Macron might be middle to centre right but I hope he wins. I've grown tired of the extremes on both sides, I'll probably vote out of duty rather than any great desire or hope.

As for Hoey she will win

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:45 pm 

Quote:
Why? They voted for her enough times, what makes you think this will be any different?

I think because she was one of the most high-profile leavers in a very pro-remain constituency, took money from Aaron Banks, snuggled up to Farage, and because she's angered a chunk of local party who won't turn out and help her (although you could counter-argue that she was re-endorsed by her CLP and national campaigning has more impact on the result than local). The local Lib Dems are going to turn this into a single-issue campaign, will throw huge amounts of resources at this one seat.

I may be spouting rubbish though so feel free to come back an mock me on June 9th!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 104  Next