It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Re: Meanwhile, in Syria

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Meanwhile, in Syria
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:06 pm 

Still, Canada - eh?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:08 pm 

Timbo wrote:
...I will lock it and start banging...

I just love it when you talk dirty to me... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:15 pm 

The Red Arrow wrote:
Still, Canada - eh?

What's it all aboot?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:24 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:31 pm 

D.C. Harrison wrote:
The Red Arrow wrote:
Still, Canada - eh?

What's it all aboot?

Lakes, mountains, mooses, and big fucking nasty grizzly bears, mostly. Oh, and Mounties. And lumberjacks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:32 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
And Murdoch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:46 pm 

I rather like Canada. I had the chance of moving there a year or three back. Vancouver, apparently quite acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:49 pm 

Visited Vancouver about 6 years ago. Fantastic, young, vibrant city surrounded by astounding natural beauty (Vancouver Island is really special).

Full of Chinese people.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:20 am 

Abernathy wrote:
Full of Chinese people.

And my hedgie's daughter ex with her newly acquired offspring. I do sometimes wonder if that might have been a good idea, after all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:35 pm 

This is a chilling development.

Syrian war: Suspected Russian air strikes destroy MSF hospital - despite so-called Syria 'ceasefire'

Chilling for a few reasons. Targeting a hospital, targeting medics, targeting civilians in general but also because it is becoming harder to write-off last week's similar incident as an accident.

And, now there are suggestions being aired in mainstream channels that Russia is provoking a deepening of the refugee crisis in order to create ever more problems for the West and the EU in particular.

In the last few weeks, I have heard similar albeit not identical hypotheses; that this is somehow a deliberate move on the part of persons-unknown. At the time, I didn't really find that to be particularly credible. Now, I am not performing a full 180° but if we link these two together, it all starts to make sense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:18 pm 

Quote:
And, now there are suggestions being aired in mainstream channels that Russia is provoking a deepening of the refugee crisis in order to create ever more problems for the West and the EU in particular

More accurately by creating the refugee crisis Russia is hoping to ensure the election of populists loyal to Putin.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:33 pm 

A thoroughly cheering piece.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -islamists
Quote:
And the outcomes are cases similar to that of Elizabeth O'Bagy, the analyst mentioned by John Kerry during the days of the chemical attack. In fact, she had just published through the Wall Street Journal a piece that essentially made you believe that the rebels were all good guys: that hardliners, here, are but a handful – because the problem for the US is that Assad might be replaced by al-Qaida. A few days later, while Human Rights Watch uncovered evidence of rebels responsible for war crimes against the minorities, it was revealed that O'Bagy was on the payroll of a Syrian lobby group whose goal was to pressure the Obama administration towards intervention. In the Twitter and YouTube era, when many newspapers save on correspondents on the ground by raking up somebody who will summarise for them what's going on in his own backyard, it's on the O'Bagys that we then base foreign policy, base our wars: on the accounts of a recent graduate, born in 1987.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:37 pm 

and what has non-intervention achieved Philip?

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:37 pm 

As someone put it in the film "In the Loop", "They're all kids over there, it's like Bugsy Malone but with real guns".

It's actually worrying - and it's happening over here too. Expertise elbowed aside by pushy kids with the ability to say what you want to hear, and a sharp manner on Twitter with anyone who criticises them.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:04 pm 

Littlejohn's brain wrote:
Quote:
And, now there are suggestions being aired in mainstream channels that Russia is provoking a deepening of the refugee crisis in order to create ever more problems for the West and the EU in particular

More accurately by creating the refugee crisis Russia is hoping to ensure the election of populists loyal to Putin.

Sorry but that's as far-fetched a conspiracy theory as you'll find anywhere. For one thing it totally obfuscates the role of the Gulf monarchies and Turkey, who've been funnelling weapons and money to jihadists from the very outset of the uprising. Even Joe Biden has admitted this ffs (before promptly backtracking and grovelling to the Gulf autocrats).

Quote:
American Vice President Joe Biden made an astounding admission to Harvard University’s John F Kennedy Forum last Thursday:

"And what my constant cry was that our biggest problem is our allies – our allies in the region were our largest problem in Syria. The Turks were great friends – and I have the greatest relationship with [Turkish President Recep Tayyip] Erdogan, which I just spent a lot of time with – the Saudis, the Emiratis, etc. What were they doing? They were so determined to take down Assad and essentially have a proxy Sunni-Shia war, what did they do? They poured hundreds of millions of dollars and tens, thousands of tons of weapons into anyone who would fight against Assad except that the people who were being supplied were al-Nusra and al-Qaeda and the extremist elements of jihadis coming from other parts of the world."

What Biden neglected to say was that America’s allies conducted that policy with the knowledge of the United States, which did nothing to stop it. The weapons supplied to the fanatics were manufactured in the US, and American intelligence in Turkey knew which rebels Turkey, Qatar and Saudi Arabia were assisting. Moreover, the moving forces within Isil, including its mercurial leader Abu Bakr al Baghdadi, were graduates of the American prison system in Iraq, where previously non-political Sunni Muslims became radicals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -stop.html

I'm not a pacifist anyway but by ignoring that lot you're stretching the term 'non-intervention' to breaking point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next