It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Re: Meanwhile in Australia

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:21 am 

The Great Barrier Reef has apparently now been declared dead. 2016 has been so shit.

http://www.outsideonline.com/2112086/obituary-great-barrier-reef-25-million-bc-2016

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:35 am 

Seriously?

Some things are beyond words.

I want to be a hermit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:39 am 

Is that by anyone reputable, or just that one website? I can't really see many facts in that article.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:49 am 

It's being reported in a few places but I'll be honest, it doesn't appear to be "official", as such. It's based on Outside Magazine and is trending. I think it's more a case of it being beyond repair.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:05 pm 

Yeah, that seems to be the impression from that article.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:18 pm 

There's this article from science

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/09/ ... rrier-reef

Quote:
The Australian government yesterday announced that substantial progress has been made toward protecting the Great Barrier Reef (GBR). Conservationists applaud improvements in the reef’s health and resilience, but caution that current government policies do far too little to counter global warming, which officials and scientists both agree is the greatest threat to the reef’s long-term survival.

“[There is] still a long way to go,” says Ove Hoegh-Guldberg, a coral reef expert at University of Queensland, St. Lucia, in Brisbane, Australia.

As part of a March 2015 “Reef 2050 Plan” put forward to avoid the GBR losing its coveted World Heritage Site status, the federal government and the government of Queensland state, which borders much of the GBR, promised annual updates on the status of efforts to manage and protect the reef. Officials feared failure to protect the reef would seriously affect tourism and give the nation a black eye.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:46 pm 

Turns out to be clickbait

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sci ... 2c043b068f

Quote:
There’s no denying the Great Barrier Reef is in serious trouble, having been hammered in recent years by El Niño and climate change. In April, scientists from the Australian Research Council’s Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies found that the most severe coral bleaching event on record had impacted 93 percent of the reef.

But as a whole, it is not dead. Preliminary findings published Thursday of Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority surveys show 22 percent of its coral died from the bleaching event. That leaves more than three quarters still alive ― and in desperate need of relief.

Two leading coral scientists that The Huffington Post contacted took serious issue with Outside’s piece, calling it wildly irresponsible.

Russell Brainard, chief of the Coral Reef Ecosystem Program at NOAA’s Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center, told HuffPost he expects the article was meant to highlight the urgency of the situation. But those who don’t know any better “are going to take it at face value that the Great Barrier Reef is dead,” he said.

Modern Journalism in a nutshell take a news story exaggerate it, to get clicks, sit back and look at gullible morons on twitte crying about something they probably couldn't give a damn about the day before, wishing the human race would go extinct, screaming why aren't we doing anything et cetera et cetera.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:00 pm 

According to The Canary it is definitely dead. Personally, I believe what The Canary says.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:18 pm 

Not all politicians are having as bad a day as others. This is how to have a REALLY bad day as a politician.

https://twitter.com/peatreebojangle/sta ... 73/photo/1

Things can only get better.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 pm 

Alt-right political career failed?

Try a new career in Landscape gardening.

Or perhaps something less public.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11