It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Re: Meanwhile In Russia

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Meanwhile In Russia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:40 pm 

Bush brandishing?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:41 pm 

I believe a phrase used by some women is "clam jousting".

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:59 pm 

Crikey.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:12 pm 

Andy McDandy wrote:
I believe a phrase used by some women is "clam jousting".

Every day truly is a school day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 pm 

I could cut and paste this whole article as every paragraph makes for interesting reading.

Quote:
For a specter is haunting Europe—the specter of populist nationalism. Ideologically indeterminate, it manifests across the Continent in the form of France’s right-wing National Front, the post-communist German Left party and the Italian Five Star Movement, which defies any traditional political label. While these parties, and the intellectual currents to which they give voice, may not align on everything, they are invariably anti-establishment, opposed to the European Union, and hostile to America. They are also all supported—either materially or through other, less tangible instruments—by Russia.

This is not incidental. As Europe’s political stability, social cohesion, economic prosperity and security are more threatened today than at any point since the Cold War, Russia is destabilizing the Continent on every front.

Just at the moment when the West requires unity, however, it’s disintegrating. Brexit foretells the potential demise of the EU, a democratic bulwark to authoritarian Russia’s predatory strategy of divide and conquer. Meanwhile, on the other side of the Atlantic, Americans have chosen a president who abjures his country’s traditional role as linchpin of the liberal world order and wishes to ally with the very power threatening to dismantle it. Unlike any president of the postwar age, Trump’s 19th century worldview and narrow conception of America’s national interest seems to accord with a Russian sphere of influence in Europe. For the next four years at least, it is an open question whether there will be any American leadership to corral Europeans together against Russian aggression and subversion. On the contrary, Trump wants to gain Moscow’s partnership in pivoting back to the Middle East, a strategic realignment that may sacrifice European security as the cost of Russian collaboration.

“The End of Europe,” the title of my book, portends not necessarily the dissolution of the EU or something so catastrophic as a conventional war (though these are real, if remote, possibilities), but rather something more ethereal and imaginable: the slow, gradual reversion to the European state of nature prior to the postwar integration project, and the rise of amoral, prostrate, nationalist governments that no longer project the liberal values upon which the Euro-Atlantic community is grounded, and that are willing to engage in purely transactional relationships with Moscow. Should this future scenario come to pass, it will be the fault of apathetic Europeans, absent Americans and aggressive Russians. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... est-214925

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:32 pm 

Two explosions on the St Petersburg Metro.

Syria will be flattened to glass by the end of the week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:23 pm 

and here comes the conspiracy theories.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... itter_page

Quote:
Since Vladimir Putin came to power in 1999, Russians have heard about hundreds of terrorist attacks—bombed apartments, cars, buildings, trains, and airplanes.
Putin has taken advantage of these so frequently to consolidate his power that people often tend, with no proof, to believe conspiracy theories suggesting the involvement of Russia’s special services or various powerful clans behind the attacks.
Commenting on the tragedy, a Pro-Kremlin writer and political analyst, Alexander Prokhanov, said on the “Vremia” television show that both the anti-corruption protests this month and the attack on the metro were planned by the same opposition center, as if calling for authorities to conduct even a bigger crackdown on the opponents.
On Monday Russian Internet bloggers commented on the violent attack on peaceful commuters in the heart of Saint Petersburg.
Some blamed the tragedy on Russia’s involvement in Syria, others on the poor work of the FSB, the state security service. “Authorities have found out how to distract people’s attention from protests,” a blogger, Daria Zhukova, said in her post on Republic.ru website.

Don't be shocked if they pull a Kirov.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:02 pm 

Quote:
The Associated Press ‏Verified account
@AP

BREAKING: Russia says it will treat US-led coalition planes in Syria, west of the Euphrates, as targets after US downed Syrian jet.

Nice knowing you all. I hope nuclear Armageddon isn't too painful.

Things can only get better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:33 pm 

I'll be fine. I'm putting plastic sheeting up on the windows, and will shelter under the dining room table.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm 

We're so fortunate there's a cool mature head in the white house.

Bad news is it's Churchill's bust.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:25 pm 

bluebellnutter wrote:
Quote:
@AP

BREAKING: Russia says it will treat US-led coalition planes in Syria, west of the Euphrates, as targets after US downed Syrian jet.

Oh shit we're all going to die.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:20 pm 

Littlejohn's brain wrote:
bluebellnutter wrote:
Quote:
@AP

Oh shit we're all going to die.

Stiff upper lip chaps!
That's hardly the strong and stable way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6