It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 266, 267, 268, 269, 270  Next

Would you vote for the LibDems again next time around?
Yes 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
No 61%  61%  [ 59 ]
Probably 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
Probably not 24%  24%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 96

Re: The LibDems, generally

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:57 am 

mr angry manchester wrote:
Might be wrong, but I think, generally, that the British, on the whole, don't really like God botherers involved in politics. Its something which, I feel, gets associated with nutty far right American types and the majority view in this country, rightly, is "keep religion out of it"

I think that's right. It's why Alastair Campbell insisted in respect of Blair's premiership that "we don't do God" (despite the fact that in private, Blair very much does do God).

I'd also like to think that in an increasingly secular British society (unlike the bizarrely intensively religiose population of the USA), the sheer absurdity of religious belief is increasingly being viewed as precisely that - something that may be okay for eccentric individuals like Timmy to subscribe to in the privacy of their own imaginations, but not something that should have any significant role in a modern, 21st century democracy.

We've discussed the nature of religious belief here before, of course, but I retain the view that of declared religious types, very few believe in the actual literal truth of the creator god/sky fairy, resurrection and and all of that guff - it's simply too far-fetched, in my view - but that religion still plays an important role in community cohesion, with vicars, priests, and imams increasingly more social workers than myth peddlers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:16 am 

I have less problem with May, Farron and Blair's private religious beliefs than Cameron's pathetically insincere attempts to reinvent himself as a serious Anglican believer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:03 pm 

It plays well to people to cast yourself as what I call a cultural Christian - vague spirituality, approve of good works, never swear in front of a vicar and so on.

Oborne however is wrong - views on sexuality have until recently been a matter of party politics. Abortion is a political issue, particularly among the PM's new best friends.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 am 

All your wishes have been granted.

Cable's in the running, I guess this will be Lamb vs Cable, I expected Davey or Cable to run not both.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:41 am 

Vince is getting on a bit but there's going to be a big market for considered political sanity from a wise old chief.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:43 pm 

Can't see Cable moving them forward any. He will drown in a tide of pensioner jokes, like Ming Campbell.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:50 pm 

That and being the face of Royal Mail privatisation

Things can only get better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:28 pm 

Cable has a recognition factor. Not all of his own family recognise Tim Farron.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:27 pm 

Ed Davey sounds as he genuinely wants to spend more time with his family but that's what they all say. Like a man who has got a real bellyache on a monday morning and has to over explain to the boss why he can't come in.

Quote:

Ed Davey rules out standing for Lib Dem leadership

Writing on the Liberal Democrat Voice website, Davey said his decision not to run came after a camping trip with his wife, Emily, and their children, John and Ellie.

“I’ve come back to Westminster more determined than ever to campaign hard for the party Emily and I both love, but not to campaign to lead the party at this moment,” he said.

Setting out the personal reasons behind his decision, the Lib Dem home affairs spokesman said: “Our joy this weekend was seeing our two children play together.

“And when you understand that John [aged nine] is severely disabled, you will appreciate that seeing our three-year-old daughter make him laugh is quite special.

“If it helps explain my decision not to run just a little more, please remember that my father died when I was four and my mother when I was 15. Being there for my children over the next few crucial years and to see those special moments is my personal priority.

“So my decision not to stand now to be leader of our party is a difficult one, but it is rooted in my family: the need to be there for my young children and not continually away from home; the need to protect my family from the inevitable intrusion on our lives; and the need to protect myself from pressures that would otherwise compromise my job as a father while they are still so young.

“And this was a difficult decision, because I want to play a big part in rebuilding our party, and taking it into power, at all levels of government.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:18 pm 

Looks like it's going to be a straightforward coronation for Cable, then.

It's been rather odd the way how every other serious contender for the Lib Dem leadership - firstly Swinson, then Lamb, and now Davey - have obediently fallen by the wayside one by one. Swinson in particular I thought would throw her hat in the ring.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:58 am 

Arrowhead wrote:

It's been rather odd the way how every other serious contender for the Lib Dem leadership - firstly Swinson, then Lamb, and now Davey - have obediently fallen by the wayside one by one. Swinson in particular I thought would throw her hat in the ring.

Wanting to be their Cameron rather than Hague/IDS/Howard?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:42 am 

Swinson is probably being groomed as the Dauphin as Salmond did with Sturgeon. Cable has public recognition factor that Farron badly lacked and has the gravitas on economics to oppose the government and Labour opposition who are both talking mumbo-jumbo on Brexit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:11 am 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
Ahem, Dauphine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:05 pm 

davidjay wrote:
Arrowhead wrote:

Wanting to be their Cameron rather than Hague/IDS/Howard?

It's going to be a period of political bloodletting.
What better than having an elder statesman as a figurehead to take the knocks while grooming a replacement.

Which begs the question of what Labour are doing about succession planning.
And which ambitious Tory will wrest the crown from Theresa's cold dead hands.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:17 am 

Danson's Forehead wrote:
Can't see Cable moving them forward any. He will drown in a tide of pensioner jokes, like Ming Campbell.

I dunno. Cable looks younger than he is. Ming looked older than he was. Plus things have changed - people at the moment are fed up of young slicksters like Cameron.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4050 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 266, 267, 268, 269, 270  Next