It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next

Re: SNP

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: SNP
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm 

And the SNP had failed to make clear what they offered to Scottish voters...

This is key in it, they are offering nothing but Indy Ref 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:55 pm 

Littlejohn's brain wrote:
Arnold wrote:
The young are less likely to vote Tory. A lot of abstentions in that age group would explain that.

Why were they absent in Scotland then?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... are_btn_tw

Quote:
Alan Riddoch, a wedding photographer in his early 30s, suggested there was another reason the SNP lost: many younger people like him did not vote. He enthusiastically voted yes in the independence referendum, as did many of his friends, and backed the SNP in 2015 but this time, he felt no urge to do so.

Donald Trump’s election as US president changed the way many of his friends follow and understand politics. They now follow US television comedians such as John Oliver. It is now a spectator sport, comic and unreal.

“A lot of my friends are more political now but they don’t know what they’re looking for. I don’t know whether I’m Liberal, Labour or SNP because no one party hits every one of my buttons,” Riddoch said. And the SNP had failed to make clear what they offered to Scottish voters, he added. For him, they had lost their relevance.

Seems they decided that indyref 2 wasn't romantic.

That's one anecdote.

Let me suggest that there are 2 lines of schism for the Scottish electorate to navigate: Left Vs Right and Indy Vs Union.
There are Three main parties competing for these.
In some geographies those three are SNP, Conservative, Labour, in others Libdems replace Labour.

Historic events have placed Labour as the junior of two parties on each of the schisms.
This shouldn't be the case, but infighting, cronyism and weak leadership have made it so.

They now face "Colonel" Ruth Davidson who enjoys the full blooded support of the bulk of the print media and the 32nd Signals Regiment:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/1191604/scots-tory-leader-ruth-davidson-poses-in-army-signal-reservists-regiment/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:29 pm 

How do you explain the fact that Labour gained six seats off the SNP? Could it also be that the SNP's poor record in government and there habit of blaming everyone else has caught up with them?

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:52 pm 

If this is the best they've got to rally the troops, they're in trouble.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... urgeon-snp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:19 am 

How do you explain the fact that Labour gained six seats off the SNP? Could it also be that the SNP's poor record in government and there habit of blaming everyone else has caught up with them?

Two significant parties based their campaigns on opposing Brexit: LibDems and SNP - neither hit as many seats as expected.

My posting (above) is my attempt to rationalise ScotLab finding itself in 3rd place, and the Tories beating them 2:1 in the race to claw back SNP seats.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 am 

Why would you swing from SNP to the Tories are they among the 30 per cent of Nats who voted Leave? "If there's one thing worse than English wankers its Frogs and Krauts telling us how much fish to catch." Salmond did a remarkable job of making the SNP a big tent party but civic-minded liberal internationalism is not what attracts many people to a nationalist party.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:06 am 

youngian wrote:
Why would you swing from SNP to the Tories are they among the 30 per cent of Nats who voted Leave? "If there's one thing worse than English wankers its Frogs and Krauts telling us how much fish to catch." Salmond did a remarkable job of making the SNP a big tent party but civic-minded liberal internationalism is not what attracts many people to a nationalist party.

With more than two parties the swings get very complicated.
There's also the large "Did not vote" bloc who might turn out next time.

Consider the situation in England.
The Tories made many mistakes, but they followed orthodox "common sense" in two assumptions.
1. Young people would only vote in small numbers.
2. Collapsing UKIP voters would switch to Conservatives.

I wouldn't think that many of the new Conservative votes came from prior SNP voters.
I base this on the Conservative literature essentially saying "Vote Ruth Davidson - No Second Indyref".

I think the SNP also relies on orthodox thinking, and paid a similar price.
I sense slight differences in Scotland to the rest of the UK.
1. I believe - almost entirely without evidence - that the "Shy Tory Voter" effect is still at work here.
2. The Scottish Conservatives have - at least in public - advocated a more moderate programme than their MPs in Westminster (Mostly remainers, not privatisers ...).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:10 pm 

Quote:
I wouldn't think that many of the new Conservative votes came from prior SNP voters.
I base this on the Conservative literature essentially saying "Vote Ruth Davidson - No Second Indyref".

Except there's evidence that points to exactly that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 am 

The engines cannae take it captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 am 

Vanity projects ....Bread and Circuses always the last resort of a failed government.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:02 pm 

Quote:
Crown drops case against former SNP MP Michelle Thomson

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1544 ... nts-anchor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:49 pm 

mattomac wrote:
Vanity projects ....Bread and Circuses always the last resort of a failed government.

There are excellent reasons why most space launches are done close to the equator.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:39 pm 

The picture is a flight of fantasy, but there is a lot of research being done in Scotland. And at least one small satellite completely built in Scotland has been launched.
The most I can see is tourist sub-orbital flights, if Branson ever gets his shit together.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:36 pm 

How about not the SNP Nicola?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-40975105

Quote:
Nicola Sturgeon has said she wishes she could turn the clock back and change the Scottish National Party's name.
The SNP leader admitted the word "national" could be "hugely problematic" during a debate at the Edinburgh International Book Festival.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:35 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
How about 'Not The SNP', Nicola?

FTFY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next