It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262 ... 266  Next

Would you vote for the LibDems again next time around?
Yes 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
No 62%  62%  [ 59 ]
Probably 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Probably not 24%  24%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 95

Re: The LibDems, generally

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:24 pm 

Having seen yet more tweets on it today, what pisses me off about this whole Tim Farron is gay sex a sin thing is what the aim is. The news just want him to say 'yes, gay sex is a sin' so they can vilify him as a homophobe or say 'no, gay sex isn't a sin' so they can claim he's a hypocrite because of his religious beliefs. There's no actual concern about LGBT issues, because if there was they'd be hammering May with the same question and pointing to her horrendous voting record on the topic. There's no interest in accuracy because what he's done is say he's not willing to define what is and isn't 'sin' as that's not his job. There's no public interest angle as they're not asking Corbyn. There's no interest in secular integrity in someone sticking to their faith while still demonstrably working for equality and fairness to all. The whole thing has 1 purpose and 1 purpose only, and that's to try and get someone to frame themselves.

What's particularly annoying is that much of this is coming from the usually excellent Channel 4 news

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:28 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
So what if Farron isn't keen on gay sex. Its just his personal opinion, not party policy. The LDs wont repeal any pro LGBT legislation. Just an attempt to smear an opponent, the usual bollocks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm 

It's total bullshit, and a sure sign that the Tories are worried about the LDs grabbing some seats.

How long must we wait before the Mail, Express and Sun's wage bills are deducted form Conservative election expenses?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:43 pm 

As I said I will remind them the next time a lad is nearly murdered because he is gay and these two brain cell fuckwits say... "oh it's nothing to do with him being gay", even though words like "fag fucker" "shit stabber" and other horrible terms are used.

I'm no fan of Farron but as I said it's more to the mistrust I have with the entire party. If I lived in St Ives I'd consider Andrew George, he showed in parliament he was standing up for St Ives. Not sure without more knowledge of the candidate I could do that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:58 pm 

mattomac wrote:
I'm no fan of Farron but as I said it's more to the mistrust I have with the entire party.

Sums up why I won't be voting Lib Dem anytime soon. Though Farron gets some kudos for being the only Cumbrian MP who was seemingly able to convince his constituents to vote against Brexit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
I'm not the worlds biggest LD fan myself, but there's buggerall else so who do you turn to? I have to admit to not knowing much about Farron.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:26 pm 

You know it just occurred to me the Lib Dems are becoming like UKIP, not in a political and sense. But in the sense that they only talk about one thing Brexit, outside of that they have sod all to say about any other issue, their fast becoming a protest party, not a party of government with a serious agenda, just a promise of a second referendum.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:28 pm 

I'm not saying don't as I said if I lived in St Ives I would sadly have to forego Labour this one time and vote for George.

I'm just saying I've got a massive mistrust issue I'd have to get over and the fact he is happy to re-enter a coalition however positive that could sound for a softer Brexit, after 2010 lots of things become less important to some of them. Farron is but one and someone who is in my view a man you can trust on Brexit. But say they get 40 seats with many of the old guard back, I'd approach with caution.

Suppose that's the thing with Corbyn you know what you are getting... Though it's utterly rubbish.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:32 pm 

Littlejohn's brain wrote:
You know it just occurred to me the Lib Dems are becoming like UKIP, not in a political and sense. But in the sense that they only talk about one thing Brexit, outside of that they have sod all to say about any other issue, their fast becoming a protest party, not a party of government with a serious agenda, just a promise of a second referendum.

They have been a sort of protest vote party for a long time. They tend to take votes off Labour, as a tactical vote by Labour supporters who live in safe Tory seats, or a protest by fed up Labour voters when Labour cock up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:33 pm 

In fairness the Lib Dems have always been strong advocates for wide-ranging constitutional reform, particularly with respect to dispensing with the horrendous FPTP electoral process.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:21 pm 

Right now that's pretty much the only horse in town. Worries about election fraud from 2015 aside it's why May called the election after all, and - because of Corbyn's stance - it's the biggest differentiator between the LDs and Labour/Tories and means they have a direct line of appeal to the 48% and any of the 52% who didn't sign up to hard Brexit. That's a hell of a lot of people. I don't think it's a coincidence they pulled in half a million in cash donations and clocked up another 8000 members in 2 days - more than double Labour's reported cash donations and nearly 4 times the number of new members in the same time period. The LD newbie group on FB is heaving, and it's a mix of people who have never joined a party before and ex-Labour and ex-Tory members/voters who feel betrayed. And these are real members too - not Corbyn fans who pay the minimum, bitch about giving power to the people and then do fuck all.

In all seriousness, if Corbyn had played his hand differently Labour could be looking at gaining seats rather than hoping to simply survive with a minimum of losses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm 

crabcakes_windermere wrote:

Right now that's pretty much the only horse in town. Worries about election fraud from 2015 aside it's why May called the election after all, and - because of Corbyn's stance - it's the biggest differentiator between the LDs and Labour/Tories and means they have a direct line of appeal to the 48% and any of the 52% who didn't sign up to hard Brexit. That's a hell of a lot of people. I don't think it's a coincidence they pulled in half a million in cash donations and clocked up another 8000 members in 2 days - more than double Labour's reported cash donations and nearly 4 times the number of new members in the same time period. The LD newbie group on FB is heaving, and it's a mix of people who have never joined a party before and ex-Labour and ex-Tory members/voters who feel betrayed. And these are real members too - not Corbyn fans who pay the minimum, bitch about giving power to the people and then do fuck all.

In all seriousness, if Corbyn had played his hand differently Labour could be looking at gaining seats rather than hoping to simply survive with a minimum of losses.

I don't buy that I think the vast majority of voters are more concerned about issues like their hospitals, jobs and benefits for which the Lib Dems have no answer on, other than to point at the pavement.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:35 pm 

I am sure that people are concerned with those issues, but as Labour are heading for near wipeout, who else can address them?

Also, they do have a clear strategy on Brexit, they are wholly opposed to it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:50 pm 

How is Tim Farron's God different to Theresa's BTW? Asking for a friend.

Things can only get better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:43 pm 

bluebellnutter wrote:
How is Tim Farron's God different to Theresa's BTW? Asking for a friend.

From a philosophical perspective, one lives in Tim's head and one lives in Theresa's.
That they do differ in outlook would imply that they're not the same guy.
So either 2 (maybe more) different all powerful gods of the testaments who coexist (You don't want to get on St Nicholas' naughty list on this stuff) and divide their monotheistic followers.
Or the gods don't exist outside the imaginations of their followers, and the differences imply there is no common-sense of god.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262 ... 266  Next