It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

The Big Guns

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: The Big Guns
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:23 pm 

Now that the dust has settled and, let's be honest, Corbyn has been vindicated, most would argue that it is time for the "big guns" of the Labour party to come back on board. While many already have or are working alongside Corbyn outside the cabinet (e.g. Starmer, Cooper), there are a lot more out there who have not been involved.

Can they be reintegrated? Will the Corbynite wing of the party support a return to the front-line of the likes of Clive Lewis at the expense of someone like Diane Abbott? Will both sides (and it will have to be both sides) be prepared to budge in order to make it work?

Things can only get better.

Post subject: Re: The Big Guns
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:39 pm 

They have to at least try to make it work. Use this opportunity to draw a line under things, and start afresh. I certainly don't think politely declining a position in the shadow cabinet is an acceptable option anymore.

What would be a very impressive, unifying move from Corbyn would be to offer Owen Smith a position. Or is it still a case of "a bit too soon"?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:14 am 

I'd love to see the likes of Umunna, Nandy, Benn, Cooper, and Miliband (and others) brought back in to build a really effective front bench team.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:28 am 

As long as they're contrite and not opportunistic I think they'll be welcome.

Owen Smith was fairly honest and humble in saying that he was wrong about Corbyn. Can't say I trust Umunna as far as I can throw him (nor do I rate him as a "big gun"). That said if the centrist and right wings of the party are on board we can do great things.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:43 am 

Also Campbell was solid on QT. I want to believe. Genuinely I think people like him in the tent pissing out would be a powerful force.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:11 am 

Winegums wrote:
Also Campbell was solid on QT. I want to believe. Genuinely I think people like him in the tent pissing out would be a powerful force.

One of (the many) things that Corbyn has veen missing has been an Alastair Campbell, or someone his equal. Seumas Milne simply cannot cut it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:19 pm 

If this election is anything to go by Corbyn called in the grown-ups and he has been listening to them. You can always defy your critics by taking their advice so the ball is now in their court. Don't be surprised by what Corbyn or anyone else does next now they can taste power. That's politics.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:41 pm 

Chuka seemed very open to the idea and Paul Mason was talking it up.

At least we have a choice for Scottish shadow now.

I think Corbyn allowing Jones to manage Welsh Labour campaign showed a grown up approach which paid dividends.

Marginals now exist in Wales for us to improve further. Aberconwy is 600 votes for example.

I also think Lewis has been proved right on Brexit, the country has shown it's not keen on a Hard Brexit at all.

I want a Starmer in as shadow home, but I think the changes he forced in the manifesto made us palpable enough for some of that UKIP vote.

A united front will do us wonders and I think is part of the reason why we did so well in that short campaign.

People like Rayner need to be kept, she has been excellent in Education.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:25 pm 

Those of you following on Twitter will note that since the start of the GE campaign Alastair Campbell has been very pro-Labour and even pro-Corbyn, and since the election even more so. Which makes me wonder if there's at least been contact made.

They'd be bloody fools if not. For all the "ZOMFG TONY BLAIR IRAQ!!!" stuff that gets thrown at him by the zealots, he knows his stuff and is clearly still up for a fight. They'd be bloody mad not to at least ask the question.

Things can only get better.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:29 pm 

I think most would be more than welcome back to the fold. There's maybe something to be said for a delay in picking the team until the Tories pick theirs, though. Cabinet/Shadow Cabinet is a man-marking game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:30 pm 

We've had the protest vote, and the wishlist/letter to Santa manifesto. Now we need to go the next step and prove that we're not just a party for students rebels and dreamers, and show our credibility and fitness to govern. For that we need the brightest and the best in all positions from leader down, including Alistair Campbell and the most capable Labour MPs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:36 pm 

There are by my count, 4 seats in Wales very much in play as marginals- Aberconwy, Preseli Pembs, Vale of Glamorgan, and Arfon.

It was a wonderful performance, by Jez and Welsh Labour.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:07 am 

bluebellnutter wrote:
Those of you following on Twitter will note that since the start of the GE campaign Alastair Campbell has been very pro-Labour and even pro-Corbyn, and since the election even more so. Which makes me wonder if there's at least been contact made.

They'd be bloody fools if not. For all the "ZOMFG TONY BLAIR IRAQ!!!" stuff that gets thrown at him by the zealots, he knows his stuff and is clearly still up for a fight. They'd be bloody mad not to at least ask the question.

I'd love to see him back.
For all JC's positives form the campaign, I felt there was a bit too much "turning the other cheek" when the Tories were leading with smears.

Every good team needs one player who can ignore the rules of gentlemanly conduct and (metaphorically) stamp on a few knees when the ref's looking elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:14 am 

Bones McCoy wrote:
Every good team needs one player who can ignore the rules of gentlemanly conduct and (metaphorically) stamp on a few knees when the ref's looking elsewhere.

Back to the 1970s with The Damned United, you mean?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:08 am 

Quote:
For all JC's positives form the campaign, I felt there was a bit too much "turning the other cheek" when the Tories were leading with smears.

A good leader stays statesman like above the fray, takes credit for the popular decisions and delegate the dirty work to your henchmen. And if their ruthlessness backfires the leader can sack them as they don't approve of that kind of dirty politics.