It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Re: The Big Guns

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: The Big Guns
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:01 pm 

Arrowhead wrote:
What would be a very impressive, unifying move from Corbyn would be to offer Owen Smith a position. Or is it still a case of "a bit too soon"?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/no ... ources-say

In the context of where we are right now, that could prove to be a higher profile role than normal.

Things can only get better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:33 pm 

Ed Miliband would be good as energy sec. He's pretty feisty and personable when he's not being managed by new lab spads to an embarrassing degree. He might still feel a bit raw about the whole GE 2015, but hopefully enough time's passed that he's happy to return to front bench politics.

I've not seen anything to legitimise Chuka as front bench material. Utterly underwhelming, and there's a far greater pool of talent to choose from. Corbyn's a far nicer guy than I would ever be in his shoes, but I hope even he doesn't forget some of the bile that came out from parliamentary members in the last 2 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:47 pm 

Having been Labour leader for five long, exhausting years I suspect Ed M would be entitled to expect a rather more senior shadow cabinet role than that of Energy. But as I said elsewhere on the forum, it still feels a bit too soon for the Ed M comeback tour.

I'm glad you made that point about Chuka - I've never really understood what all the fuss is about with him. Everytime I've heard him speak, he just leaves me thoroughly underwhelmed. I'd find a role for him somewhere, but I just don't see him as future leadership material.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:53 pm 

Perhaps, given Ed and his stuff on Leveson and the Sky stuff, might fancy Culture, Media & Sport?

Ought to be a pretty light job but gives him a chance to settle a few scores.

Things can only get better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:13 pm 

bluebellnutter wrote:
Arrowhead wrote:
What would be a very impressive, unifying move from Corbyn would be to offer Owen Smith a position. Or is it still a case of "a bit too soon"?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/no ... ources-say

In the context of where we are right now, that could prove to be a higher profile role than normal.

Owen Smith is new Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:16 pm 

Smart choice. Smith was conciliatory post election, and has also run against Corbyn previously. Clearly not a "Corbynista" and also neutered as a tried-and-failed contender.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:30 am 

Shows how weak he sees his position.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:18 pm 

Having increased Labour's vote share with little support from the PLP, having huge public and membership support...Corbyn's position is stronger than it's ever been. Any handouts he gives to the right of the party are up to him. He has enough political capital within the membership, and has proven himself to be able to run an effective election campaign.

When he got into power he tried to build a broad cabinet. Remember how that ended? Perhaps he wants right-wing colleagues to behave themselves on the back benches before earning a seat at the big boys table.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:27 pm 

Winegums wrote:
Having increased Labour's vote share with little support from the PLP, having huge public and membership support...Corbyn's position is stronger than it's ever been. Any handouts he gives to the right of the party are up to him. He has enough political capital within the membership, and has proven himself to be able to run an effective election campaign.

When he got into power he tried to build a broad cabinet. Remember how that ended? Perhaps he wants right-wing colleagues to behave themselves on the back benches before earning a seat at the big boys table.

Yeah well maybe Jeremy should have turn a better job then, maybe he should have campaigned harder during the EU ref, maybe he shouldn't have treated one MP who was recovering from cancer like dirt, maybe he shouldn't have undermined colleagues, maybe he shouldn't have allowed his own MPs to be abused and victimised by his supporters.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:43 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
He did better than everyone thought, much better. It is time to stop this bickering between left and right in the party and concentrate on what really matters - this shit excuse of a Tory government which is on the ropes. One big punch and they will be down

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:09 pm 

Like football this leadership malarky isn't difficult; You're own side boo you the loudest when you're shit on the pitch because they are the ones passionate about the team. Pull your finger out and start scoring and the supporters start cheering.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:45 pm 

No help from the PLP?

They were going round the country saying "vote for me as your local candidate who won't do that nonsense with Defence that Corbyn believes". Lots of others were going round saying "I'm a proper Remainer, vote for me".

If Jez wants to run on his "convictions" next time, he'll get shat on.