It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Re: Sir Keir Starmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Sir Keir Starmer
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:35 am 

I'm very pleased to hear Keir pouring cold water on that fatuous notion of vote share as a credible measure of progress. VERY pleased.

Needs a few more to jump onto this wagon asap, I feel.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 am 

Significant coming from a man who likes to keep his powder dry

Speaking of which my feeling about Starmer's 'keeping our heads down' Brexit obfuscation would be that it would serve Labour well in the long run but appeal to no-one in the short term and was a bad decision.

But John Curtice found it is not playing badly among Remainers and Leavers

Quote:
However, there is not so sharp a difference between Remain and Leave voters so far as the increase in Labour support is concerned.

While support for the party amongst Remain voters has increased by more since the pre-election period (an increase of 6.5 points) than it has amongst those who voted Leave (up 3 points), the difference is too small to place too much reliance on, given the chance variation to which all polling is subject.

At the moment, at least it can be regarded as no more than a hint that Labour may be advancing more amongst Remain voters.

Meanwhile, we should also note that, although still well below what it is amongst Remain voters, support for Labour amongst those who voted Leave is apparently now as high as it has been at any point since the EU referendum. http://whatukthinks.org/eu/has-labours- ... th-brexit/

Even the Corbyn supporters in my CLP take no notice of Jez on Brexit and are happy to leave it to Starmer.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:34 pm 

I think they've got off incredibly lightly if they're getting Remain voters back.

I am not yet inclined to vote for them. If I do it'll be because they're Welsh Labour here. As they keep saying.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:57 pm 

youngian wrote:
Significant coming from a man who likes to keep his powder dry

Speaking of which my feeling about Starmer's 'keeping our heads down' Brexit obfuscation would be that it would serve Labour well in the long run but appeal to no-one in the short term and was a bad decision.

But John Curtice found it is not playing badly among Remainers and Leavers

Quote:
However, there is not so sharp a difference between Remain and Leave voters so far as the increase in Labour support is concerned.

While support for the party amongst Remain voters has increased by more since the pre-election period (an increase of 6.5 points) than it has amongst those who voted Leave (up 3 points), the difference is too small to place too much reliance on, given the chance variation to which all polling is subject.

At the moment, at least it can be regarded as no more than a hint that Labour may be advancing more amongst Remain voters.

Meanwhile, we should also note that, although still well below what it is amongst Remain voters, support for Labour amongst those who voted Leave is apparently now as high as it has been at any point since the EU referendum. http://whatukthinks.org/eu/has-labours- ... th-brexit/

Even the Corbyn supporters in my CLP take no notice of Jez on Brexit and are happy to leave it to Starmer.

Are these the Re leavers I'm hearing so much about.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:16 pm 

Abernathy wrote:
I'm very pleased to hear Keir pouring cold water on that fatuous notion of vote share as a credible measure of progress. VERY pleased.

Needs a few more to jump onto this wagon asap, I feel.

Jess Phillips has done the same.