It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Jeremy's won so I'm...
...pleased because I voted for him 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
...disappointed because I voted for the other one but I accept the democratic will of the Party and will give him my full support and work to reunite Labour and provide an effective Opposition 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
...pissed off and will continue to fight to reclaim the centre ground. 29%  29%  [ 9 ]
...to be honest I couldn't give a fuck, I only joined Mailwatch because I hate Dacre's foul rag. 45%  45%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 31

Re: Jeremy Corbyn, the poll that matters

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:12 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
And if all his supporters here join the party and work hard we'll have a breakthrough. We just need to improve by 24% to get a majority of 1.

Post subject: Visage
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:14 pm 

Corbyn is ultimately doomed. But he won't fall without a credible alternative. But until that alternative emerges it would be nice to see the opposition doing some opposing instead of imploding in self indulgent circlejerkery.

Post subject: Re: Visage
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:20 pm 

visage wrote:
Corbyn is ultimately doomed. But he won't fall without a credible alternative. But until that alternative emerges it would be nice to see the opposition doing some opposing instead of imploding in self indulgent circlejerkery.

Wouldn't it just.

But hey, allotments and jam...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:55 pm 

visage wrote:

I agree, if you haven't worked out how to outfox Momentum you'll probably be struggling in Stevenage or Glasgow. And a credible alternative is someone who is solely dedicated to stuffing the Tories in the next few months.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:00 pm 

Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
visage wrote:

Wouldn't it just.

But hey, allotments and jam...

And he's a blast at making pizza. After yesterday's coronation and King Jezzymandias had done his, 'Look on my works, ye Blairites, and despair!' shtick he was whisked off to a food bank and filmed making pizzas for the poor. If anything it showed that his media team are beginning to do their job more effectively, it worked well.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:21 pm 

Daley Mayle wrote:
If anything it showed that his media team are beginning to do their job more effectively, it worked well.

This is promising, although hard to see how they could have done much worse.

Although given their track record it'll probably turn out these were stunt pizzas made for a local chain paying lower than minimum wage. And everyone got food poisoning.

Things can only get better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:23 pm 

Good photo op, but should have come second to a rousing attack on the Tories. In the end photo opps are ephemeral, except for a few (like Thatcher in a tank, or Kinnock tripping).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:30 pm 

Banana... bacon sarnie?

Funny how these negative, defining images are about Labour politicians but Maggie commands a tank.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:33 pm 

Boris and the zipwire? Assorted Grimaces of Gove? There are some. But not Saint Maggie. Of course.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:57 pm 

It may have been easier to control the news cycle in the 1980s but Thatcher was a bloody awful media performer left to her own devices. But she had the self-awareness to know it and defer to the people she had confidence in appointing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:45 pm 

visage wrote:
If Corbyn endures another 12 months of unconstructive whinging he'll have zero success fighting the Tories.

If he gets 12 months of support from the whole Labour movement he might have some success.

Its hard to envisage how someone can claim to want whats best for the country while endorsing the former.

I will be endorsing the latter for six months to indulge Momentum fairy tales and see what creative excuses they will come up with in May 2017 to explain Jez's flatlining. Most voters made up their minds about Corbyn in 15 minutes like any other leader.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:48 pm 

youngian wrote:
visage wrote:
If Corbyn endures another 12 months of unconstructive whinging he'll have zero success fighting the Tories.

If he gets 12 months of support from the whole Labour movement he might have some success.

I agree, I want the the PLP to back off and give Corbyn their full support.

If this happens how high do you expect Corbyn's poll ratings will climb? For a saviour of the working class like Corbyn I predict it will be at least 85%. So let's all get behind him and make it happen.

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
As for Universal Basic Income, Jeez.

It's a great idea that pragmatic and idealist politicians have spent 50 years trying to reframe so it doesn't sound like free cider money for Benefit Street; Negative income tax, child benefit and tax credits for example.

It's unsellable by Corbyn, that's for sure. It's another Nixon to China policy.

I don't think it can be made to work. It's going to reduce employment (conditionality for unemployment benefit increased it, without the IDS bollocks) and you still need means testing for housing and health conditions. Better to reform the DWP.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:33 pm 

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
It's going to reduce employment (conditionality for unemployment benefit increased it, without the IDS bollocks)

Hadn't thought of that. It will probably encourage the growth of flexi-jobs and ZHCs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:11 pm 

youngian wrote:
I don't expect him to ask me where to move his bishop.

FNARR.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:52 pm 

youngian wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
It's going to reduce employment (conditionality for unemployment benefit increased it, without the IDS bollocks)

Hadn't thought of that. It will probably encourage the growth of flexi-jobs and ZHCs.

Declan Gaffney made the "worklessness" point- his word- and cites the poor employment level of single parents until James Purnell introduced more conditions for those with kids 8 and over.

McDonnell was quoted getting very annoyed about workfare (community work, 4 weeks, after 1 year, and indefinitely after 2 years) and (quite rightly) the shift to ESA.

The WCA can be junked, but the rest of it sounded fairly moderate when combined with compulsory jobs, as Purnell supported after he left government. Social Security is going to be a test of how principled McDonnell is. I can't imagine conditionality being wound back to pre-Purnell.