It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which of the piss poor contestants would you reluctantly vote for
Andy Burnham 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Yvette Cooper 34%  34%  [ 14 ]
Jeremy Corbyn 59%  59%  [ 24 ]
Liz Kendall 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 41

Re: The Next Labour Leader: Poll

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:58 am 

Littlejohn's brain wrote:
It's interesting that among a poll taken of Labour voters a few days Burnham was on 39% and Corbyn on 24%

Where and how were they found to be polled? I'd be slightly worried if someone got in touch with me and said "as a Labour voter, who do you think would be the best leader of the party?"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:16 am 

I recall about 3 months ago learning the hard way that you pay more attention to exit polls than voting intention ones.

I will prioritise Corbyn/Watson. Here's why - it's the best option.

If this process has shown us anything, it's that the Labour party is a broad church. Its aims cannot be defined by a small and self-appointed elite, but must reflect what its membership want. If that means moving to the right, fine. If it means moving to the left, fine. Why should one be acceptable and not the other?

Now, leadership options. If any of the beige three win, they can either carry on being Tories-lite, in which case why bother; or they can move to accommodate the left, in which case they will be portrayed as puppets of Jeremy and the unions.

If Corbyn wins, yes, he will be pilloried by the right wing media. He will also have a more public platform, hopefully this will send a message that counters what people read in the editorials. Also, the media might just go over the top on him. And if he moves towards the centre, this will again undermine the 'hard left' narrative.

And again, repeated because it seems some people need this hammered into them, the message is not as important as the messenger or the delivery. Corbyn has emerged from this as principled, polite, considerate and reasonable. His rivals have emerged as entitled and bland, sulking because the game they were promised they'd win isn't going to plan. Rather than raise their game, their response has been to threaten to walk off the pitch.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:30 am 

From that poll...

Quote:
Opinium’s first major poll of the Labour leadership contest suggests that Andy Burnham is the preferred choice among Labour voters with Liz Kendall back in fourth place. However many said they would have no reaction to any of the candidates winning, suggesting a high level of apathy from voters.

200+ Labour MPs to choose from for Leader of the party and of the ones selected none really inspire the comrades.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:45 pm 

D.C. Harrison wrote:
Littlejohn's brain wrote:
It's interesting that among a poll taken of Labour voters a few days Burnham was on 39% and Corbyn on 24%

Where and how were they found to be polled? I'd be slightly worried if someone got in touch with me and said "as a Labour voter, who do you think would be the best leader of the party?"

It's YouGov. If you're a member of YouGov's vast panel (I am) they will have asked you at some point in the past if you're a member of a political party and which one. They ask you again on the poll they invite you to participate in - entirely voluntarily in case that has changed. Nowt sinister.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:49 pm 

Abernathy wrote:
It's YouGov. If you're a member of YouGov's vast panel (I am) they will have asked you at some point in the past if you're a member of a political party and which one. They ask you again on the poll they invite you to participate in - entirely voluntarily in case that has changed. Nowt sinister.

Aye, I didn't think it was anything out of kilter, just wondered if some company had rang up random bods and asked "did you vote Labour? Yes? Who do you fancy as leader"... obviously the yougov source makes a lot more sense!

Still, I have to say I'm hoping Corbyn wins. As said, I can see him being the kind of leader that would make me hand over membership subs for the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:53 pm 

Abernathy wrote:
It's YouGov.

The one showing Burnham at 39% 5 days ago was Opinium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:56 pm 

Don't know how Opinium finds its samples, but I dare say it must be similar to What YouGov does.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:13 pm 

Abernathy wrote:
Don't know how Opinium finds its samples, but I dare say it must be similar to What YouGov does.

Yes - they've got a panel which they take random samples from too. (Don't know how big it is, though.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:14 pm 

Jeremy Corbyn urges caution over Labour leadership poll

Quote:
Jeremy Corbyn has urged his supporters to be "a bit cautious" after an opinion poll suggested he will romp to victory in Labour's leadership contest.

The YouGov poll for The Times of 1,400 eligible voters put Mr Corbyn on 53%, 32 points ahead of Andy Burnham.

The party has gained 79,000 members since the general election and 145,000 registered supporters.

If the findings of the YouGov poll were repeated in the leadership election, Mr Corbyn would win without the need for second preferences to be counted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33860521

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:46 am 

I have a vote.

Corbyn is who I'm closest to thinking and policy wise so a lot of the time I feel my vote should go to him.

Other times I feel like I should follow the advice to vote ABC because he's unlikely to win an election... but the other 3 don't seem like election winning material to me either.

I'll probably flip a coin on the day the form arrives. :|

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:05 am 

Well, that's helpful. :| However, I do sympathise with your confusion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:10 am 

You've got to have a Labour Party before you can have a Labour Government.

The colour is Red: Not blue or purple or beige. Red.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:14 am 

The Giant Claw wrote:
I have a vote.

Corbyn is who I'm closest to thinking and policy wise so a lot of the time I feel my vote should go to him.

Other times I feel like I should follow the advice to vote ABC because he's unlikely to win an election... but the other 3 don't seem like election winning material to me either.

I'll probably flip a coin on the day the form arrives. :|

Ask yourself who has the integrity to walk away if the polls go tits up and make way for a new generation. And who will be hanging onto to power in 2018 with poll ratings stuck in the mid 30s because they look like a branch manager of Argos rather than a leader.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:11 pm 

Just what have you got against employees of Argos? :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:34 pm 

Looks-wise I always thought that Liz is the ubiquitous headmistress commenting in the Mail about a child's suspension from her school because he/she had the wrong type of footwear/a non regulation knot in the tie/a number two haircut with the IS flag left in relief.

Vyv? There's something of a no-nonsense Chairperson of a community hall committee about her.

Andy? With those eyebrows defo a member of Tracy Island.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next