It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Should Alan Johnson return?

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:24 pm 

Over the last few weeks people from Len McCluskey to Mary Creagh have been saying that Alan Johnson should be bought back to help Labour in the election. Whilst I can see the merits of bringing him back the question I want to ask this do people here think he should be bought back?

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:58 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
Bought back? I didn't know he'd been sold off.

He's a decent enough bloke, just too Blairite for the present party. Outside of frothing-at-the-gash 'Old Labour' people who hate anything Blair I doubt the electorate would take against him. Remember he's one of the few politicians who can lay claim to real working-class roots, and that may give him 'traction'.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:09 pm 

Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Bought back? I didn't know he'd been sold off.

He's a decent enough bloke, just too Blairite for the present party. Outside of frothing-at-the-gash 'Old Labour' people who hate anything Blair I doubt the electorate would take against him. Remember he's one of the few politicians who can lay claim to real working-class roots, and that may give him 'traction'.

His claim to real working class roots would work in my opinion also my opinion of him has gone up since reading his memoir

Dave Lister, philosopher.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:20 pm 

On broadcast media, he was close to matchless and, whilst times have moved on and Labour have certainly sharpened up their act, I don't doubt that he could do a real job on national and local radio, and resonate especially with C1C2 undecideds.

He's a logical, bright and articulate pragmatist and would destroy the Faragistas with their "man of the people" horseshit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:01 pm 

I think it could be worth a punt. I'm still meeting the odd spanner on the doorsteps that thinks that Labour would be home and dry if only they'd elected that nice David Miliband as their leader.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:31 pm 

At least the Davidians (yeah, sorry) have an opinion and are 99% pulling in the right direction.

The more I think about this, the more I think that Johnson could be the perfect foil to all the weirdo, Jew boy smearing that will doubtless characterise Cameron Custer's desperate last stand in ten months' time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:23 am 

He's certainly an answer to "They're all the same."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:38 pm 

I too feel he would be a plus, well liked by his civil service staff by all means as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 pm 

I think, if Ed has any sense that this is a real rebellion rather than some manufactured deflection hysteria, he'd be man enough to ask Johnson himself as he'd be able to see the benefits of a genuine (former) working man as leader of the opposition against Cameron*. And Farage would be out-Faraged (in the sense of who he pretends to be) so his one-trick pony would be put out to pasture.

*Which ironically would be precisely the sort of leadership and qualities that would make him an excellent leader in his own right.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:55 pm 

Alan Johnson he say no.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:10 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
He sensible.
He make good deputy leader.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:20 pm 

Think he's part of the authoritarian tendency that shipped votes to Lib Dems last time. And couldn't do last job. And in charge for Mid Staffs, which would be held against him.

But I think he could be usefully put up against Shapps. Certainly has a personable way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:44 pm 

You can guarantee all the shipping of him would dry up in an instant if he made a return.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:21 am 

Unless Alan Johnson is the world's slowest political plotter, how many times does he have to say he is a lieutenant and not leadership material. It might just be his Blairite views that have given Tory press steam to this phantom leadership bid.

Even if ordinary bloke Alan did suddenly become leader the mud slinging would then deflected to useless Ed Balls who along with Brown was entirely responsible for the crisis in Western finance.

As for a post in the shadow cabinet is there any indication that he wants one?, he hasn't even shown any interest in the London Mayoral candidature which doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.