It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Re: Tony Blair (more Marmite than Messiah)

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 am 

I'm sure he'll mention it tomorrow.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:13 pm 

Tony Blair launches pushback against 'frightening populism'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... g-populism

I find it difficult to disagree with anything he's saying in that piece. Come back Tony, all is forgiven.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:05 pm 

Hopefully populism is dying anyway. Trump got very lucky and is making an idiot of himself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 pm 

Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
But the essence of populism seems to be that you can prove yourself to be a copper-bottomed doorknocker-solid wanksock and the populii still sup up your stupidity like a hungry dog in a big gravy boat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:22 pm 

And stay in office?

Berlusconi did that, but who else?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:40 pm 

Remains to be seen.
I've just viewed a Trumpette praising the Golden One for lowering her sick son's medical insurance. Of course, that was down to Obamacare, and Trump hasn't 'figured out' what he's doing with medical care yet, but he gets the praise anyway.

I'm not sure you realise quite how stupid some people are.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:57 pm 

WTF? wrote:
Tony Blair launches pushback against 'frightening populism'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... g-populism

I find it difficult to disagree with anything he's saying in that piece. Come back Tony, all is forgiven.

I find that quite cheering, and exciting. Thank Dawkins somebody is doing something to try to arrest the dread slide into a world of shite.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:52 pm 

Good job Corbyn is backing the will of the people on Brexit to fight Blair's neo-liberal agenda

Quote:
He claimed the Brexiteers’ agenda was not really about immigration, but politics. “The game of these people is not ultimately about Brexit; it is about an economic experiment where they want to turn the UK, or more accurately England, into a sort of offshore, free-wheeling, free-market, free-trading hub. I think it is a rightwing fantasy, and I don’t think the British people would vote for it.”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:12 pm 

Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Remains to be seen.
I've just viewed a Trumpette praising the Golden One for lowering her sick son's medical insurance. Of course, that was down to Obamacare, and Trump hasn't 'figured out' what he's doing with medical care yet, but he gets the praise anyway.

I'm not sure you realise quite how stupid some people are.

She's less likely to be praising the final plan. A deficit fuelled boom could help him a lot, but I can't see his high end tax cuts are going to be that popular.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:18 pm 

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Hopefully populism is dying anyway. Trump got very lucky and is making an idiot of himself.

Trump and Brexit are panning out as you'd expect populists to once they get into power. I'd be surprised if Le Pen has picked up any new voters on the back Brexit and Trump. If Farage had any wisdom in his predictions he would have played it cool instead acting like a coked-up teenager at a party.

Trevor Noah's take on the Dutch elections; Hypothetical Trump seems like a lot of fun but once the Dutch saw an actual Trump...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:30 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
And stay in office?

Berlusconi did that, but who else?

Thatchcunt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:41 pm 

Berlusconi was a ridiculous huckster but he didn't have any cranky platform to re-order the world with no plan. He just wanted to grope tits and arses with impunity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:45 pm 

And provide stripping Italian housewives on TV.

Years ago the Times asked readers if they wanted such rubbish on their TV. 'Fuck yes' came the answer...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:41 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
:D
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
And provide stripping Italian housewives on TV.

Years ago the Times asked readers if they wanted such rubbish on their TV. 'Fuck yes' came the answer...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:16 am 

Quote:
Trump and Brexit are panning out as you'd expect populists to once they get into power. I'd be surprised if Le Pen has picked up any new voters on the back Brexit and Trump. If Farage had any wisdom in his predictions he would have played it cool instead acting like a coked-up teenager at a party.

Trevor Noah's take on the Dutch elections; Hypothetical Trump seems like a lot of fun but once the Dutch saw an actual Trump...

I'd agree with that, but I think too many pundits tend to think each country's situation is the same and ignore local factors on the ground.

Dave Lister, philosopher.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next