It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Re: Tony Blair (more Marmite than Messiah)

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 pm
Posts: 16874
Location: Liverpool
I'm sure he'll mention it tomorrow.

_________________
"It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail." - Gore Vidal.

"I proved that you're wrong. And if you're wrong, I'm right." - Aaron Eckhart.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:16 pm
Posts: 253
Tony Blair launches pushback against 'frightening populism'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... g-populism

I find it difficult to disagree with anything he's saying in that piece. Come back Tony, all is forgiven.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:33 pm
Posts: 22906
Location: South Wales
Hopefully populism is dying anyway. Trump got very lucky and is making an idiot of himself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 11:46 pm
Posts: 36167
Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
But the essence of populism seems to be that you can prove yourself to be a copper-bottomed doorknocker-solid wanksock and the populii still sup up your stupidity like a hungry dog in a big gravy boat.

_________________
To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty. Lao Tzu



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:33 pm
Posts: 22906
Location: South Wales
And stay in office?

Berlusconi did that, but who else?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 11:46 pm
Posts: 36167
Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
Remains to be seen.
I've just viewed a Trumpette praising the Golden One for lowering her sick son's medical insurance. Of course, that was down to Obamacare, and Trump hasn't 'figured out' what he's doing with medical care yet, but he gets the praise anyway.

I'm not sure you realise quite how stupid some people are.

_________________
To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty. Lao Tzu



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:59 am
Posts: 20927
Location: Up my own arse.
WTF? wrote:
Tony Blair launches pushback against 'frightening populism'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... g-populism

I find it difficult to disagree with anything he's saying in that piece. Come back Tony, all is forgiven.


I find that quite cheering, and exciting. Thank Dawkins somebody is doing something to try to arrest the dread slide into a world of shite.

_________________
"The opportunity to serve our country. That is all we ask." John Smith, Leader of the Labour Party, 10 May 1994.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:04 pm
Posts: 17790
Good job Corbyn is backing the will of the people on Brexit to fight Blair's neo-liberal agenda

Quote:
He claimed the Brexiteers’ agenda was not really about immigration, but politics. “The game of these people is not ultimately about Brexit; it is about an economic experiment where they want to turn the UK, or more accurately England, into a sort of offshore, free-wheeling, free-market, free-trading hub. I think it is a rightwing fantasy, and I don’t think the British people would vote for it.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:33 pm
Posts: 22906
Location: South Wales
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Remains to be seen.
I've just viewed a Trumpette praising the Golden One for lowering her sick son's medical insurance. Of course, that was down to Obamacare, and Trump hasn't 'figured out' what he's doing with medical care yet, but he gets the praise anyway.

I'm not sure you realise quite how stupid some people are.


She's less likely to be praising the final plan. A deficit fuelled boom could help him a lot, but I can't see his high end tax cuts are going to be that popular.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:04 pm
Posts: 17790
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Hopefully populism is dying anyway. Trump got very lucky and is making an idiot of himself.


Trump and Brexit are panning out as you'd expect populists to once they get into power. I'd be surprised if Le Pen has picked up any new voters on the back Brexit and Trump. If Farage had any wisdom in his predictions he would have played it cool instead acting like a coked-up teenager at a party.

Trevor Noah's take on the Dutch elections; Hypothetical Trump seems like a lot of fun but once the Dutch saw an actual Trump...




Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 pm
Posts: 4475
Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
And stay in office?

Berlusconi did that, but who else?

Thatchcunt

_________________
Were going to hell in a handcart, you couldn't make it up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:04 pm
Posts: 17790
Berlusconi was a ridiculous huckster but he didn't have any cranky platform to re-order the world with no plan. He just wanted to grope tits and arses with impunity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 11:46 pm
Posts: 36167
Location: Sunny Surrey where the vines sit smugly in the sunshine.
And provide stripping Italian housewives on TV.

Years ago the Times asked readers if they wanted such rubbish on their TV. 'Fuck yes' came the answer...

_________________
To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty. Lao Tzu



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 pm
Posts: 4475
Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
:D
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
And provide stripping Italian housewives on TV.

Years ago the Times asked readers if they wanted such rubbish on their TV. 'Fuck yes' came the answer...

_________________
Were going to hell in a handcart, you couldn't make it up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Posts: 13052
Location: West Midlands
Quote:
Trump and Brexit are panning out as you'd expect populists to once they get into power. I'd be surprised if Le Pen has picked up any new voters on the back Brexit and Trump. If Farage had any wisdom in his predictions he would have played it cool instead acting like a coked-up teenager at a party.

Trevor Noah's take on the Dutch elections; Hypothetical Trump seems like a lot of fun but once the Dutch saw an actual Trump...


I'd agree with that, but I think too many pundits tend to think each country's situation is the same and ignore local factors on the ground.

_________________
Don't give me the Star Trek crap. it's too early in the morning.

Dave Lister, philosopher.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Fatal: ./cache/ is NOT writable.