It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Re: Philip Hammond

Sponsor

Sponsor

Post subject: Re: Philip Hammond
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:20 am 

Hammond getting a coordinated and choreographed kicking in the press this weekend? Well, blow me down with a feather...

edit: (Duh, I see that I share my unique insights with half the western world.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:08 pm 

Location: Handforth, Cheshire, just half a mile across the border with fantastic Greater Manchester
Public sector workers overpaid? For entering burning buildings, treating the victims of terror attacks etc. Idiot.

Back to the trains, I recollect a trip to the Severn Valley a few years ago where an ex GWR Hall class was driven and fired, very well, by an all woman crew...

Marginally off topic, but in similar vein, I remember coming home from school once on the number 6 bus, a service operated by the ex Salford depot at Frederick Road. Some of their drivers used to make horrible noises with the gears on the Leyland half cabs used. On this occasion, the bus was driven more smoothly and quietly than usual with no grinding or crunching at all. Upon arrival at the terminus the driver jumped down from the cab. A woman!

EDIT: Update on the women train drivers issue. Ive just remembered a discussion on a railway forum I go on from about three or four years ago on this topic. Apparantly, towards the end of steam traction, British Railways were very short staffed and Nine Elms depot on the Southern Region employed two or three women as engine cleaners in about 1966/7. The Southern were always struggling for manpower at this time, so to cover for shortages, the women did get some footplate training and got to fire on the odd ECS (empty coaching stock) turns in and out of Waterloo. Apparantly, the NUR were OK with it and the driners and firemen were too, as long as they could do the job, the only objection was from the enginemen's wives!

So there you have it Mr Hammond

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:05 pm 

Hammond didn't say that women couldn't drive trains but it was the male dominated unions who fought against female drivers.

And every day the paper boy brings more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 pm 

This is Gove leaking this bollocks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:03 pm 

Or hilarious Boris.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9